Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is it considered acceptable...  (Read 9804 times)

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Why is it considered acceptable...
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:39 AM »
Let me just say this....I'm not going to continue the argument, but I'm not really sure what statement has everyone up in arms.  Is it the "it's not racism" statement regarding crime?  If so, I do believe that it's a valid point of discussion among a lot of people involved in criminology - I have taken a number of criminology classes in my undergrad, and I seem to remember a lot of models of why people commit crimes...I'm not entirely sure why that statement is so bad, just to be honest. 
Mercer University School of Law '12

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 07:41:17 AM »
Omg, echo chamber of stupid in here.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 07:50:40 AM »
Omg, echo chamber of stupid in here.

Seriously. Here's a link, fwiw: http://www.sentencingproject.org/PublicationDetails.aspx?PublicationID=626

Otherwise, devildog is too dumb to argue with.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 09:27:57 AM »
But that link supports my earlier claim!  I said that it was not *solely* racism, and your link says that it is not *solely* anything else either - there are elements of racism, perhaps, but it is not the sole cause of higher crime rates among people of different races.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 09:40:54 AM »
But that link supports my earlier claim!  I said that it was not *solely* racism, and your link says that it is not *solely* anything else either - there are elements of racism, perhaps, but it is not the sole cause of higher crime rates among people of different races.

Don't try to edit after the fact. You said, and I quote, "that's a very complex issue, but not one of racism." I don't see anything implying, at all, one iota, that you thought racism had anything to do with it, but that it was simply not the sole factor--in fact, you explicitly said it WAS NOT an issue of racism.

Own your *&^%.
This sig kills fascists.

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:44 AM »

Don't try to edit after the fact. You said, and I quote, "that's a very complex issue, but not one of racism." I don't see anything implying, at all, one iota, that you thought racism had anything to do with it, but that it was simply not the sole factor--in fact, you explicitly said it WAS NOT an issue of racism.

Own your *&^%.

Not only that, you then went on to say

Well, I'll be honest, I've not done a great deal of research on the matter. I know that in my own town, I'd be shocked if any of the local officers acted in a racist manner - they take great care to make sure that they handle things as evenly as possible

Further, the question isn't solely (as you're now apparently trying to reframe it) about why different groups of people commit crimes at different rates. Since irrx is prone to deleting his posts, this generally sums it up:

The situation is that the system is functionally racist, from legislation providing much stiffer penalties for rock cocaine (used more often by blacks) than for powder cocaine (used more often by whites), heavier patrols in predominantly "brown" neighborhoods, sentences for black and Hispanic defendants for the same crime being much lengthier than for whites, and prison populations that reflect a disproportionate number of minority inmates by a large margin. It's not just one issue, it's many issues. And just knowing what differential association theory is, isn't going to provide any footing in this argument.

I'll echo dash - own your *&^%. If you say stupid, uninformed *&^%, on this board or among people who actually have a clue, you're going to get called on it. And I'm not sure why you're so confused about what people are up in arms about - the especially problematic comments you've made have been quoted, bolded, and otherwise explained. Is this seriously that hard for you to follow? Seriously?

Sure, these are complicated issues, but it's simply not possible to have a nuanced discussion of the ways in which they're complicated if someone (that would be you, netopalis) is making assertions that racism doesn't play any part in it (see quotation above, if you're going to try to contest again that that is what you said) - without any evidence or explanation to back it up beyond a sort-of anecdote about small town cops (again, see quotation above).

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2009, 11:00:35 AM »
Fine.  I'm out of here...But I still think it's ridiculous to assert that my comments were racist.  This thread is a prime example of why race relations are no better than they are - a man can't even attempt to discuss something like this without being labelled as a racist. 

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
Fine.  I'm out of here...But I still think it's ridiculous to assert that my comments were racist.  This thread is a prime example of why race relations are no better than they are - a man can't even attempt to discuss something like this without being labelled as a racist. 

Who called you racist? I think we just called you stupid.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 11:10:05 AM »
PS:  It was a canard.  And given the response, I'd say it worked wouldn't you?

Yup.  If what you wanted was a largely misinformed, dishonest, and hostile conversation about important, if tangential, issues.  Good work! 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »

Who called you racist? I think we just called you stupid.

Yes. This.
This sig kills fascists.