Law School Discussion

SMU ($$) v. UT ($)

SMU ($$) v. UT ($)
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:08:42 PM »
I've already been through this with Baylor and determined that UT is the better deal. Does anyone feel differently about SMU?

I have been offered scholarships at both schools. SMU offered 30K per year (making the tuition about 8-10), UT offered 5K per year (making the tuition about 18-20). Both scholarships have very good terms. I would just have to stay in good standing and be enrolled full time. I am open to living in Austin or Dallas (although I do prefer Austin). I do not plan to practice law outside of Texas. I love Texas and I never want to live anywhere else. I will probably settle in either Austin or Dallas, depending on where I get a job.

I can think of plenty of reasons why each school would be a good fit for me, so I thought I would ask for some opinions on here.

My current plan is to go back to both schools and ask for more money.

Re: SMU ($$) v. UT ($)
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »
Go to UT.  I'd wager your chances of getting any more money then you already have are slim...so to anticipate the second question, even if they don't give you more money, still go to UT.

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
Texas even if no money.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »
Texas even if no money.

TITCR

You'll be amazed how many SMU graduates are unemployed right now. 

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:51:40 PM »
Texas even if no money.

TITCR

Can you give any more details about this? SMU is my top choice right now and that sure doesn't sound good...

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 04:54:53 PM »
Texas even if no money.

TITCR

Can you give any more details about this? SMU is my top choice right now and that sure doesn't sound good...

Do you have access to any 2008 SMU graduates.  Ask how many of them are employed as attorneys and how many of them are not.  Ask specific questions.  Don't ask if they are "working," because virtually all of them are by now, some might even at law firms, but just not as attorneys.

If finding 2008 grads is a challenge, ask the 2009 grads now who are still at SMU.  Ask how many of them and their classmates (the ones who are not top 20%) have offers now. 

At most schools, all you hear is people getting big law and those are the ones who are telling everyone, but John Doe, who's at the median or below median of the class and still working as a "law clerk" at some firm, won't be advertising around about his current employment status. 

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 05:13:17 PM »
Texas even if no money.

TITCR

Do you have access to any 2008 SMU graduates.  Ask how many of them are employed as attorneys and how many of them are not.  Ask specific questions.  Don't ask if they are "working," because virtually all of them are by now, some might even at law firms, but just not as attorneys.

If finding 2008 grads is a challenge, ask the 2009 grads now who are still at SMU.  Ask how many of them and their classmates (the ones who are not top 20%) have offers now. 

At most schools, all you hear is people getting big law and those are the ones who are telling everyone, but John Doe, who's at the median or below median of the class and still working as a "law clerk" at some firm, won't be advertising around about his current employment status. 

I actually don't have access to any SMU students or grads because I don't live in Texas. Do you go to SMU yourself? Also is this directly related to the economy and just a short term trend for SMU grads or are you saying the biglaw offers for SMU grads have traditionally been restricted to only the top 20%?

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
I don't know about 2008 grads, but I know a lot of people that have graduated from SMU in the last 3 or 4 years. Every one of them was employed as an attorney by nine months after graduation (some of these people graduated in the bottom 1/4 of the class). Most of them within 2 or 3 months. Of course, this is very Dallas skewed, so if you wouldn't be happy in Dallas, it might be a real problem. The only reason I'm considering SMU is that I know this about the school.

The biglaw thing is accurate, though. I know for a fact. Top of your class or very little luck even at big firms in Dallas.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 06:53:31 PM »
I don't know about 2008 grads, but I know a lot of people that have graduated from SMU in the last 3 or 4 years. Every one of them was employed as an attorney by nine months after graduation (some of these people graduated in the bottom 1/4 of the class). Most of them within 2 or 3 months. Of course, this is very Dallas skewed, so if you wouldn't be happy in Dallas, it might be a real problem. The only reason I'm considering SMU is that I know this about the school.

The biglaw thing is accurate, though. I know for a fact. Top of your class or very little luck even at big firms in Dallas.

That's definately not the case with 2009, 2008, and 2007 grads.  I am not going to comment about 2006 grads and grads from earlier years.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »

That's definately not the case with 2009, 2008, and 2007 grads.  I am not going to comment about 2006 grads and grads from earlier years.

Do you guys know how Houston grads are doing compared to SMU grads? The two schools are similar in rankings and both are the top school located in their respective legal markets. I am also considering Houston because the tuition is much less than SMU's.