Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Non-trad Resume  (Read 1436 times)

JagerStokes

• View Profile
    • Email
Non-trad Resume
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:37:46 PM »
I attended four different schools over the course of 15 years before finally getting the piece of paper that said it meant something. I did not do well in school until the last two years. Do I put all of these schools on my resume? also, my jobs have been lackluster... Bartender in a tourist spot .. and a short stint as a mortgage broker.. any advice..will be great!

rnl623

• MSN Messenger - hockey_girl_99@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - hockey_girl_9923
    • View Profile
Re: Non-trad Resume
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »
I attended four different schools over the course of 15 years before finally getting the piece of paper that said it meant something. I did not do well in school until the last two years. Do I put all of these schools on my resume? also, my jobs have been lackluster... Bartender in a tourist spot .. and a short stint as a mortgage broker.. any advice..will be great!

When you state your GPA, emphasize your GPA the last two years of undergrad if it is higher than your graduating GPA.
Example: Overall GPA: 3.12 - GPA in last two semesters: 4.00
That way, it puts a more positive spin on your GPA. There are schools that will look at your LSDAS report for trends in your GPA, such as graduating with a progressively higher GPA and will take that into account.

Regarding your multiple schools, if you got any degree other than a Bachelor's from these schools, you have to list it your resume. I know that you will need to submit transcripts from all of the schools you attended after high school for your LSDAS report, and you have to list them on your law school application, so you might have to list them on your resume as well, but I would ask an admissions consultant or a law school representative for more specifics.

On your job situation, this is where you can really edit your resume, pick the ones that have the most relevant skills to the law and lawyers. Be creative, you want skills such as writing, analytical skills, logical reasoning, people skills, etc. Sometimes, that bartending job may have taught you a lot more skills relevant to the law than you think. The mortgage broker job probably gave you some experience that you can place on the resume.

To be sure, I would probably check out a book about law school admissions such as the Ivey Guide to Law School Admissions, or look in the resources section of this site, or the law school admissions books lists on amazon.

Remember, the resume usually is only one page long, but ask a law school rep about how long of a resume they will accept for a non-traditional student.

Good luck!
"Though heads will turn, her path never wavered..."

LawSchoolAuthority

• View Profile
    • Law School Authority
    • Email
Re: Non-trad Resume
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:53 PM »
I would be happy to take a look at your resume for you if you would like to PM it to me.  Or send me a PM and I'll reply with my email address.