0 (0%)
Give him the money
0 (0%)
Other (please explain)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

POLL: Moral Dilemma

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
POLL: Moral Dilemma
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:52:58 PM »
Thanks for reading/helping me out. I'm stuck.

So the story goes:

I had a black macbook (original price: $1500). I bought it Dec. 07, and bought an extended warranty. My cat spilled water on it, it stopped charging the battery (still works on A/C), I sent it in to apple. The warranty didn't cover the repair for $755. I don't have $755, so I put it up on craigslist as broken for parts for $250. I it sold it to a guy last night, and mentioned that I might be able to transfer the warranty.

Here's where the dilemma comes in: This morning while looking for how to transfer the warranty, I found out that I could cancel the warranty and recover the prorated amount value. I (naively?) sent the buyer an email explaining this.

BUT, here's the thing, I know the buyer has already opened the case, voiding the warranty, so there's no point in transferring it to him.

So what do I do?

------------------

My thoughts are:

(A) I can keep the money for myself, which makes sense as I HORRIBLY undervalued the computer I sold, by a little over $200.
(B) I can give the buyer the money as the value of the warranty I already promised him.
(C) I can try to negotiate with him, splitting the money, or giving him some portion, or even just taking back the computer and giving him (some) money back.

Help?

Re: POLL: Moral Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:13:48 PM »
Well if the warranty would be void since he opened the case, what would be the point of transferring the warranty?

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:15:28 PM »
no the warranty was not figured into the price. I didn't even think to mention it until after he paid me.

This is wrong.

• Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:41:05 AM »
Tip:  This thread would be much more likely to draw attention if its title read "POLE: Moral Dilemma?".

JSIA