8 (100%)
Renegotiate
 0 (0%)
Give him the money
 0 (0%)
Other (please explain)
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: POLL: Moral Dilemma  (Read 542 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
POLL: Moral Dilemma
« on: February 28, 2009, 06:52:58 PM »
Thanks for reading/helping me out. I'm stuck.

So the story goes:

I had a black macbook (original price: $1500). I bought it Dec. 07, and bought an extended warranty. My cat spilled water on it, it stopped charging the battery (still works on A/C), I sent it in to apple. The warranty didn't cover the repair for $755. I don't have $755, so I put it up on craigslist as broken for parts for $250. I it sold it to a guy last night, and mentioned that I might be able to transfer the warranty.

Here's where the dilemma comes in: This morning while looking for how to transfer the warranty, I found out that I could cancel the warranty and recover the prorated amount value. I (naively?) sent the buyer an email explaining this.

BUT, here's the thing, I know the buyer has already opened the case, voiding the warranty, so there's no point in transferring it to him.

So what do I do?

------------------

My thoughts are:

(A) I can keep the money for myself, which makes sense as I HORRIBLY undervalued the computer I sold, by a little over $200.
(B) I can give the buyer the money as the value of the warranty I already promised him.
(C) I can try to negotiate with him, splitting the money, or giving him some portion, or even just taking back the computer and giving him (some) money back.

Help?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: POLL: Moral Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:13:48 PM »
Well if the warranty would be void since he opened the case, what would be the point of transferring the warranty?
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:15:28 PM »
no the warranty was not figured into the price. I didn't even think to mention it until after he paid me.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 03:41:05 AM »
Tip:  This thread would be much more likely to draw attention if its title read "POLE: Moral Dilemma?".

JSIA
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.