Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Philadelphia area  (Read 455 times)

blue1018

• View Profile
    • Email
Philadelphia area
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
Lived here all my life - I would love to stay in this region..

What schools should I consider for '10 entrance? Does anyone know what Drexel's reputation is, given that it is so new?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

160/3.61

Crimson:devil(red)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Philadelphia area
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
Lived here all my life - I would love to stay in this region..

What schools should I consider for '10 entrance? Does anyone know what Drexel's reputation is, given that it is so new?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

160/3.61

Have you considered Temple? They have a good reputation, and I was accepted with similar numbers.
Tulane Law School Class of 2012

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/crimsondevilred

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
Stick to either Temple or Villanova in for the philly area (b/c a 160 won't get you into University of Penn). Temple and Villanova are similarly ranked, Temple marginally higher, but I expect Villanova to jump a little this year with opening of their new facility, but what do I know.

Don't go to Drexel or any other T4, this just should be a rule of thumb.  Drexel is way too new and reach of alumni base is should not be underestimated. It is vitally important.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »
I personally think Drexel will be pretty good when it finally gets ranked. They are pretty selective with the students they admit.

But like the other posters... Come to either Temple or Villanova...

Apply to penn too... just b/c you never know! haha

Drexel and Widener should give you a full or close to full scholarship. So if $$ is an issue, then those schools will hook you up.

Temple has instate tuition which is nice!

Villanova is a nice school... well known for its tax program
Temple is known for trial advocacy.

Both schools are good.. you may also want to consider if you want to live in the city or suburb... aka Villanova is closer to my house that is why i'm visiting there this year. Temple i'll be at in a couple of months though.

Either way... philly has tons of law schools so pick and choose, pick and choose.. haha
  You also have Rutgers Camden.. across the bridge just incase your interested... - ciao
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:21:01 PM »
I agree that Drexel will probably be pretty decent after it is ranked but it will still take years to get a strong alumni base.

I transferred out of Widener last year and it is the best decision I have made.  On a whole, the profs are pretty good but I am at a T20 now and I can say that the quality of class discussion has made a huge difference in my legal education. Plus, the job prospects aren't great coming out of Widener, you are pretty limited. However, they have a very loyal alumni base and they have been around since the '70's so that is one good thing it has going for it.

I am an the fence about Rutgers. If I had to choose between Temple, Villanova and Rutgers, Rutgers would be off my list pretty quickly. Especially b/c the campus is in Camden. But, I have met students there who love it so I guess you should just visit the schools and see which one fits your career objectives and living expectations.