Law School Discussion

Need advice, just got my first score back.

Need advice, just got my first score back.
« on: February 28, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
Alright, I decided at the end of last year that I wanted to go to law school, it was a lingering thing my whole life but I went on to pursue a BS in Journalism/Public Relations.  I signed up for the Feb 09 test and just got my score back last night, it is a 144, I pretty much "winged it" I only studied the week before. I thought it would be like other standardized tests which I am usually good at.  Now I don't know where to go from here I'm really disappointed in my score, should I study for the next couple of months and take it again in June, or later?  I graduate in May from my UG, and I'm now looking at law school for Fall 2010. 

Or should I apply to schools with this score? Won't it look really bad if I take it a second time?  How many times can you take the test?

I really have nobody to talk to about this, my school has as the law school advisor a psychology professor who didn't know he was the law school advisor!

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice, just got my first score back.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
Take the test again, the LSAT is VERY learnable. Many people have improved their scores by more than 10 points, and it makes a MASSIVE difference in your career choices. You have plenty of time.

Check out this thread http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4012881.0.html I reccommend going through the powerscore bibles, then using practice tests.

Most schools now use the higher of two scores when looking at your application. yes one score looks SLIGHTLY better, but your score is low enough that almost any improvement would be better than that.

If you study diligently, and read through the LSAT threads here, you could be ready for a 160+ or better by June. So take a deep breath, and relax a little.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:12:09 PM »
honestly, if you only studied for a week, you would be making a big mistake not to take it again because you didn't put enough into it. 
i just got my score back and i'm retaking too...i studied for almost 2 months.
in the first few posts on here there's a link to PithyPike's study guide. i would highly recommend that.
good luck!

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 12:53:08 PM »
I'm in the same boat and took it 5 times prior to this  and this time I scored 4 points higher, and got a 146. I emailed a couple of admission couselors and they told me they will take the higher score.

I got a law of email from Thomas Cooley and they accepts scores in the 145-55 range I might take it again in June because the February test was graded on a curve you could of gotten a 150 or higher on another sitting.  I myself am heavily disappointed like you but am trying to look at graduate schools now instead because maybe lawschool is not right for me since I do not want to go out of state.

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:43:12 PM »
I signed up for the Feb 09 test and just got my score back last night, it is a 144, I pretty much "winged it" I only studied the week before. I thought it would be like other standardized tests which I am usually good at.  Now I don't know where to go from here I'm really disappointed in my score, should I study for the next couple of months and take it again in June, or later?  I graduate in May from my UG, and I'm now looking at law school for Fall 2010.

Take June, and take your study seriously this time.  Private tutoring FTW.

Or should I apply to schools with this score? Won't it look really bad if I take it a second time?  How many times can you take the test?

Don't apply with that score.  You won't get in anywhere worth going.  Taking again, assuming you improve the score, always looks better than just a low score.  You can take it, I believe, 3 times every 2 years.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:09:08 PM »
Should I retake it in June as well I'm planning ot devote alot of time in it as well  :-\

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 05:04:51 PM »
you have plenty of time to study for the june test. It will take effort and focus, but plenty of other people have done it.

I, for one, didn't decide until april that I wanted to retake in june. granted i had a lot of free time, but it's not april yet. You just need to get on it.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:16:54 PM »
I agree with you but I'm going to give the old college try and retake it in june after I take a couple more practice test to see if I can break the 160 mark. I just need to calm myself and retool my thinking on the test I know its going to be a hard road but it can be done.

I will have to focus on the logic games and then work myself up from there.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:52 PM »
I, too, decided to go to law school last fall, and have been working on it since. AND I'm applying for Fall 2010 too, think it's a coincidence? Anyway, here's what you need to do in brief steps:

1. Do NOT panic!

2. You can take NO MORE than 3 LSATs in a 2-yr period; UNLESS the school(s) to which you apply requests a more recent score (generally, schools may accept a 5-yr-old score), OR the schools to which you apply approves that you take another LSAT.

3. Prepare to take another exam THIS year (preferably Sep/Oct) so that you have enough time to prepare. At the same time, you may work VERY hard for June's test (I'm taking June's), and if you're wondering: "Can we pull it off?", my answer is and I quote: "YES, WE CAN!".

4. Obtain/Purchase at least 3 recent LSATs for practicing on simulated tests (under timed conditions).

5. The most important step; get a self-study book (if you're up for it) or seek tutoring if affordable. I've got 3 books and a total of 20 LSATs! The books I got are:
  • LSAT SuperPrep (by LSAC): One that seems to be all from the tester's point of view. Introductory, but not quite effective. Don't go for it if you're taking the test in June.
  • Cracking the LSAT - 2009 Edition - (by Princeton Review): I'm almost half way through the book; so far it's working like a CHARM, don't miss it, it looks huge, but it's the "friendliest" book yet, I should know; I HATE reading. It is greatly designed from a "Testee's" point of view. I highly recommend it. It has an online tool that I didn't find to be helpful to me, though. Still, take a look and make up your own mind about it.
  • LSAT Comprehensive Program - 2009 Edition - (by Kaplan): I haven't started this one yet, I skimmed through it though; seemed to me better than Cracking the LSAT; that's why I saved it to last. At the same time, now that I've gone far enough in the latter, I may have to change my statement. The online tool as demonstrated by the book seems OUTSTANDING.

General Info about the Last 2 Books:

1. Effective for Self-Study.

2. Each includes 3 previously administered LSATs. (I purchased an LSAC publication for 10 additional LSATs)

3. They provide well-studied time-saving tips and strategies as well as techniques to identify question types for each section and approach them accordingly.

4. OH, AND they provide tools to help you schedule your study-time for sufficient results. That always helps; whether you start preparing 3 months or 6 weeks in advance.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you; dear mcm55 and ALL.

All the best.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:29:46 PM »
Remember that princeton review, kaplan, and barrons all use made up (fake) examples. As a result many of us feel there is something OFF about them, they just dont feel right. Some people even believe it has hurt their scores.