Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice, just got my first score back.  (Read 2535 times)

mcm55

• View Profile
Need advice, just got my first score back.
« on: February 28, 2009, 12:05:39 PM »
Alright, I decided at the end of last year that I wanted to go to law school, it was a lingering thing my whole life but I went on to pursue a BS in Journalism/Public Relations.  I signed up for the Feb 09 test and just got my score back last night, it is a 144, I pretty much "winged it" I only studied the week before. I thought it would be like other standardized tests which I am usually good at.  Now I don't know where to go from here I'm really disappointed in my score, should I study for the next couple of months and take it again in June, or later?  I graduate in May from my UG, and I'm now looking at law school for Fall 2010. 

Or should I apply to schools with this score? Won't it look really bad if I take it a second time?  How many times can you take the test?

I really have nobody to talk to about this, my school has as the law school advisor a psychology professor who didn't know he was the law school advisor!

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice, just got my first score back.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »
Take the test again, the LSAT is VERY learnable. Many people have improved their scores by more than 10 points, and it makes a MASSIVE difference in your career choices. You have plenty of time.

Check out this thread http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4012881.0.html I reccommend going through the powerscore bibles, then using practice tests.

Most schools now use the higher of two scores when looking at your application. yes one score looks SLIGHTLY better, but your score is low enough that almost any improvement would be better than that.

If you study diligently, and read through the LSAT threads here, you could be ready for a 160+ or better by June. So take a deep breath, and relax a little.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

onmytoes812

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 02:12:09 PM »
honestly, if you only studied for a week, you would be making a big mistake not to take it again because you didn't put enough into it. 
i just got my score back and i'm retaking too...i studied for almost 2 months.
in the first few posts on here there's a link to PithyPike's study guide. i would highly recommend that.
good luck!

smulla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:53:08 PM »
I'm in the same boat and took it 5 times prior to this  and this time I scored 4 points higher, and got a 146. I emailed a couple of admission couselors and they told me they will take the higher score.

I got a law of email from Thomas Cooley and they accepts scores in the 145-55 range I might take it again in June because the February test was graded on a curve you could of gotten a 150 or higher on another sitting.  I myself am heavily disappointed like you but am trying to look at graduate schools now instead because maybe lawschool is not right for me since I do not want to go out of state.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
I signed up for the Feb 09 test and just got my score back last night, it is a 144, I pretty much "winged it" I only studied the week before. I thought it would be like other standardized tests which I am usually good at.  Now I don't know where to go from here I'm really disappointed in my score, should I study for the next couple of months and take it again in June, or later?  I graduate in May from my UG, and I'm now looking at law school for Fall 2010.

Take June, and take your study seriously this time.  Private tutoring FTW.

Or should I apply to schools with this score? Won't it look really bad if I take it a second time?  How many times can you take the test?

Don't apply with that score.  You won't get in anywhere worth going.  Taking again, assuming you improve the score, always looks better than just a low score.  You can take it, I believe, 3 times every 2 years.

smulla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
Should I retake it in June as well I'm planning ot devote alot of time in it as well  :-\

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
you have plenty of time to study for the june test. It will take effort and focus, but plenty of other people have done it.

I, for one, didn't decide until april that I wanted to retake in june. granted i had a lot of free time, but it's not april yet. You just need to get on it.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
I'm in the same boat and took it 5 times prior to this  and this time I scored 4 points higher, and got a 146. I emailed a couple of admission couselors and they told me they will take the higher score.

I got a law of email from Thomas Cooley and they accepts scores in the 145-55 range I might take it again in June because the February test was graded on a curve you could of gotten a 150 or higher on another sitting.  I myself am heavily disappointed like you but am trying to look at graduate schools now instead because maybe lawschool is not right for me since I do not want to go out of state.

I hate to say this, but with that kind of score after giving your best effort, even if you go to Cooley and graduate, you are going to have a very difficult time passing the bar exam.  Although it requires more core knowledge than the LSAT, the bar exam requires many of the same thinking skills. 

The skills are an ability they call "thinking like a lawyer."  The LSAT tests your raw abilities in that arena.  The bar exam tests your ability to put it into practice (after you have memorized much core material).  Coming out of law school with 100K debt and not passing the bar is the real killer.  It will ruin your life.  That is the part the Coolies of the world forget to tell their applicants.

Sorry if this is harsh, but somebody has to say it.   
Visit us at allstartestprep.com

smulla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:16:54 AM »
I agree with you but I'm going to give the old college try and retake it in june after I take a couple more practice test to see if I can break the 160 mark. I just need to calm myself and retool my thinking on the test I know its going to be a hard road but it can be done.

I will have to focus on the logic games and then work myself up from there.

LSAT All Star

• Sr. Citizen
  • Keeping it simple
    • View Profile
    • All Star Test Prep
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:22:14 AM »
I agree with you but I'm going to give the old college try and retake it in june after I take a couple more practice test to see if I can break the 160 mark. I just need to calm myself and retool my thinking on the test I know its going to be a hard road but it can be done.

I will have to focus on the logic games and then work myself up from there.

Good luck.  Jump on the forum for help.  There is plenty here.
Visit us at allstartestprep.com