Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Enforcement to Law School - any thoughts?  (Read 3375 times)

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law Enforcement to Law School - any thoughts?
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 12:41:43 AM »
Has anyone here made the transition from law enforcement to law school?  I'm turning in my badge and gun for a laptop and casebook later this year, and was wondering if there were any distinct advantages or disadvantages to having worked on the "messy" side of legal employment.

I have both former police and former military in my class, and they seem to be doing very well compared to the averages. I think your background will certainly not be a detriment, more likely the opposite. Prepare to be called on a lot in crim law.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

ArkansasFan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 07:04:43 PM »
I'm in the same boat wondering if law enforcement to law school is a good choice for me.  Even when I was in field training, as odd as this is, I've been hearing, "Man, you should go to law school, and...blah blah blah."  I still hear that and heard it yesterday.  The fact is, I want to go.  I always have.  I just wonder what I'd do once I graduate, but I suspicion everyone endures that which has always been the sole barrier to my applying.

My background is unique I think.  I graduated college, taught high school science for two years while working part-time as a paramedic before becoming a municipal officer.  I did that for a couple of years and transitioned to natural resource law enforcement which is pretty unique albeit cushy in some respects particularly with my administrative reponsibilities now.  My favorite part of LE is law and procedure followed by interviewing and reporting.  Of course, we all like firearms and tactics.   ;) 

This spring I'm off to school (or scheduled) to become a narcotics investigator which I still want to train in, but right now I'm pretty sure I want to go to law school and then do something on that side of the fence.  I'm in Arkansas and really only care to go to school here for a variety of personal reasons, and I've got at GPA of 3.45 according to LSDAS which I am registered with.  Short of a bad LSAT score, and I've yet to challenge the LSAT, I'm told I stand a good chance of getting accepted.  Arkansas allows for part-time officers, and, in fantasy, it'd be great if I could do that during L2-L3. 

Having come here searching for cop turned lawyer threads I'm just wondering what others may throw at me for advice, suggestions, criticisms, or commentary.

duckgrl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »
When I toured a couple schools, they said they had a few students with a law enforcement background.  I was considering this career path, but had to put everything on hold when I found out I was pregnant in February!  I've been in law enforcement for six years.  I worked in TV news for four years before that.  I always wanted to go to law school, but the timing wasn't right.  The way things are going, it may never be. 

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:16:44 PM »
I am a second year associate. I graduated over 3 years ago. My best friend graduate with me and he was in law enforcement for 3 years before law school. He is now a state prosecutor and loves it.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.