Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law Enforcement to Law School - any thoughts?  (Read 3443 times)

devildog_jim

• View Profile
Law Enforcement to Law School - any thoughts?
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
Has anyone here made the transition from law enforcement to law school?  I'm turning in my badge and gun for a laptop and casebook later this year, and was wondering if there were any distinct advantages or disadvantages to having worked on the "messy" side of legal employment.

NYCFed

• View Profile
Re: Law Enforcement to Law School - any thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »
I'm considering it, although my job is more cush than "messy."  Would like to hear any other input.

SuperSixTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 08:14:13 PM »
I am in the process of do this now.  Sort of.  I plan on going part-time while finishing out my 20.  I have 11 in, so it is very difficult to give up being over half way to a lifetime pension.

devildog_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:03 PM »
I'm nowhere near my 20, but I'm federal so I figure I can take a shot at being Famous But Incompetent if I decide I really need a pension at age 50.

SuperSixTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 09:35:08 PM »
Being employed Federally should give you a pretty good shot with the FBI anyway.  You don't need a law degree to get hired with them as I am sure you know.  Once you start getting close to the ten year mark it makes it tougher to leave, especially when you realize you could be leaving a lot of money on the table.  With all of that being said, I wish I had made the move much earlier in my career.

devildog_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:21:13 PM »
I'll just barely be career status when I go, so I'm not leaving a whole lot.  Federal employment as an attorney has some perks too, and I figure I don't have to decide for a while.

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 10:40:44 PM »
I had a number of years of law enforcement experience before I switched over to school.  I loved my job and was reluctant to leave but knew if I went part time either school or work would suffer and I wanted to be able to give 100%.  You will find criminal law interesting and probably wind up thinking (as I did), that's not how it happens in real life!  The rest of the stuff was all new to me, torts or contracts never came into play on the job.  I think once I start taking evidence or criminal procedure more stuff will be familiar.  But I am just a lowly 1L now...

SuperSixTwo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:07:47 PM »
Sarahlina, did you start full-time or give part-time a shot first?  How long were you out of undergrad before going to law school?

sarahlina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:58:56 PM »
I originally applied for part time programs but then wound up going full time.  I felt like having to dash off to classes at 5 PM would really hinder my ability to give 100% to my cases.  I definitely think it is possible to balance some jobs, but law enforcement is unique.  I was working for about seven years.  It can be a weird transition.  Sitting in the library for hours makes me miss field work.

devildog_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 11:12:29 PM »
So a friend just let me know that DoJ runs internships about 20 hours a week all semesters.  Part time + DoJ intern for as long as they'll have you > full time?