Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas M. Cooley Vs. Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program  (Read 16440 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas M. Cooley Vs. Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Out of the T4 schools, Southwestern in Los Angeles (the best T4 in the country by far) or even Thomas Jefferson in San Diego would be better than either. My question is, why not one of the really respectable T3's? If you could get into a school like a Wayne State (a Detroit school many say is T2 caliber) or Vermont (a school some say is really a Top-50 school) or Howard (also a highly underrated T3 school) you'd be in excellent shape.

Or what about Suffolk, San Francisco, St. Thomas, Michigan State, Cleveland State, Albany, Akron, Chapman, Hamline, NYLS, Hofstra? Those are all really good schools and considered T2 in some polls. Heck, Suffolk, Howard, Vermont, Hofstra, NYLS and S.F. have been as high as Top-50/Top-60 in some rankings.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2009, 08:24:58 PM »
I know it is very unorthodox, but can't I simply secure a seat at Cooley and begin rigorously studying for the June LSAT? If my score does not improve dramatically then I maintain my seat, but if it does I withdrawal my seat and wait a year at most and apply to a school in my desired area. Right?

Sure you could do that...  You can technically withdraw from law school whenever you want... I think the june LSAT scores come out a month after the exam... so whenever the LSAT is... the scores will come out about 30 days later or so... You should have your score by the time classes start at Cooley... which isn't till August I would guess...

It is a viable option ... good luck
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

SellinEvo84Law

• AOL Instant Messenger - edean483
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
I know it is very unorthodox, but can't I simply secure a seat at Cooley and begin rigorously studying for the June LSAT? If my score does not improve dramatically then I maintain my seat, but if it does I withdrawal my seat and wait a year at most and apply to a school in my desired area. Right?

When do you get your result for the June LSAT? 
The test is June 8. So I would get the score on the 29th of June, by email.

LawDog3; I did apply to Thomas Jefferson, St. Thomas, among many others, but have been rejected, except for Barry, which I am still on the wait list.
LSAT:138, 145, 153
UGPA:2.99

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »
Out of the T4 schools, Southwestern in Los Angeles (the best T4 in the country by far) or even Thomas Jefferson in San Diego would be better than either. My question is, why not one of the really respectable T3's? If you could get into a school like a Wayne State (a Detroit school many say is T2 caliber) or Vermont (a school some say is really a Top-50 school) or Howard (also a highly underrated T3 school) you'd be in excellent shape.

Or what about Suffolk, San Francisco, St. Thomas, Michigan State, Cleveland State, Albany, Akron, Chapman, Hamline, NYLS, Hofstra? Those are all really good schools and considered T2 in some pools. Heck, Suffolk, Howard, Vermont, Hofstra, NYLS and S.F. have been as high as Top-50/Top-60 in some rankings.

Is that a joke? 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
No...it's no joke, Contract2008. Ok...so Vermont is more like top-100, but still higher than USN projects. There's stuff on the net from people saying it. Look at Law 100, Lawdragon or Vault to see some rankings of underrated schools. Also, in her admissions book, Susan Estrich mentions Vermont and Suffolk along with Tulane, Chicago-Kent and Syracuse as the most underrated schools in the country. Moreover, like Vermont and Suffolk can be T2, Chicago-Kent, Loyola (L.A.), Brooklyn Law, Temple, and, to a lesser degree, Miami, are top-30 in the minds of some experts. Look it up.

I am not a fan of Cooley by any stretch...I think it's a mill, a factory and a cash-cow cooked up by Brennan to exploit students. If Cooley is the best you can do right now, I suggest you wait. Get into one of those others. Go to Nova or one of those others. Put in some more apps.

Go to University of District of Columbia, Cal Western, Florida A & M, or even Drexel. Florida Coastal is better than Cooley. Phoenix Law is better (Phoenix Dean Dennis Shields was Admissions Dean of Duke Law until about 2005). Cooley is the worst law school in the country, and, if you go there, you are bound to regret it.

I don't know what your numbers are, but you don't have to be above 3.3 or 155 to get into any of those schools, and I know Vermont has taken students with 2.8/145.

It sounds like the USN T2 are out of reach, but those T3's are not. Aim as high as you can go, and put in an application at Southwestern. I don't know what happened to its ranking, but it actually has decent job prospects in L.A. and it is a very innoative, respected school. Cooley? Hell no!

http://www.lawdragon.com/index.php/lawdragon/fullstory/law_school_update/

http://www.lawschool100.com/

http://www.top-law-schools.com/vermont-law-school.html

http://www.vermontlaw.edu/x6823.xml

http://www.vault.com/graddegree/school/school_main.jsp?program_id=3744&type=3&co_page=5&ch_id=351
(excerpts only if not a gold member)

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/171
(for some numbers)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2009, 11:28:55 PM »
http://zerolblog.com/?p=414

Two conflicting opinions about this question...

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2009, 11:39:57 PM »
http://zerolblog.com/?p=414

Two conflicting opinions about this question...

Wow that is a cool website!! haha
  And I like my answer... Do both.. haha do AAMPle and if you are not accepted you still have cooley to lean on to! haha
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

SellinEvo84Law

• AOL Instant Messenger - edean483
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
The issue of financing the $3500 AAMPLE program surfaces. Seeing how the school does not offer financial aid, because it is not considered a "degree seeking program." So it is safe to assume that if any other school accepts me, I should accept that offer over Cooley. Schools I'm waiting to hear from are: North Carolina Central U., Seton Hall, Widener U, U of Detroit Mercy, and a wait list Barry U.
LSAT:138, 145, 153
UGPA:2.99

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2009, 04:52:34 AM »
The issue of financing the $3500 AAMPLE program surfaces. Seeing how the school does not offer financial aid, because it is not considered a "degree seeking program." So it is safe to assume that if any other school accepts me, I should accept that offer over Cooley. Schools I'm waiting to hear from are: North Carolina Central U., Seton Hall, Widener U, U of Detroit Mercy, and a wait list Barry U.

NCCU and Seton would be good.

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2009, 09:26:40 AM »
It's worth noting that the chances of getting through the AAMPLE program are roughly the same as those of actually graduating from Cooley and passing the bar (i.e. less than 50/50).

A much easier option would be to retake the LSAT and apply next year. Then get into those same schools with scholarship money.

Granted, but it will be my third time taking the LSAT. <12/08(145) 09/07(138)> Is the option of transferring that minuscule to consider? I succumbed to a low SAT score as well, so it would be safe to say I am not the best at standardized tests.

This is a flame...guessing usually gets you further than a 138