Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thomas M. Cooley Vs. Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program  (Read 16823 times)

SellinEvo84Law

• AOL Instant Messenger - edean483
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thomas M. Cooley Vs. Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:50:24 PM »
I have been accepted to Thomas M. Cooley, and have been invited into the Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program. This program is designed to weed out diamonds from the rough by making the participants take two classes, of which at least a 2.5GPA and at most one C is need for admittance. The classes last one month, and cost $3500. I am having trouble deciding, as I am refering to "a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush." Now this saying doesnt help with rationale. Is the bird in hand raggedy or nice, with respect to the other two in the bush, even though I only have one becuase a waitlist from Barry is not likely to be decided upon by April 1. Any  thoughts, ideas, experiences on the AAMPLE program or either institutions?

From the Nova Southeastern Law AAMPLE website:

about 20%-50% of the students in any given year are successful. There is not a “quota” on the number of AAMPLE ® students who will be admitted to the NSU Law Center. All those who achieve the cumulative G.P.A. of 2.50 or higher—of which both grades are a C or higher are offered admission into the NSU Law Center after successfully completing the additional Law Center requirements. The usual range, however, is approximately 20%-50% of enrolled AAMPLE ® students.

The success rates for the following years of the Online AAMPLE ® program are as follows:
Online        On campus
2005 - 11%    2005 - 0
2006 - 22%    2006 - 45%
2007 - 33%    2007 - 39%
2008 - 37%    2008 - 42%

LSAT:138, 145, 153
UGPA:2.99

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas M. Cooley Vs. Nova Southeastern AAMPLE program
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »
I genuinely want to help you, but I read your post twice and I still have no idea what it is saying. Law school might not be a good idea right now. These schools aren't known for producing successful graduates.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

SellinEvo84Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:07:30 PM »
What section is difficult for you to understand? I am simply asking for knowledge (from past experiences) pertaining to this type of decision. So you think I shouldn't attend law school for reasons to you not being able to understand my post? Or because of my choices?  I appreciate your comments.

SellinEvo84Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:17:27 PM »
Go with AAMPLE.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36681

HTH.

I have read some posts proclaiming the classes are really 3L, and unless you have the mind to put fourth in-depth rationale before entering law school, the participant would be frustrated come grade release time.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:38:55 PM »
I strongly urge you to reconsider going to law school this year. These schools simply are not good law schools and it may be difficult for you to find employment. I don't know what you career goals are though.

What thing that concerns me is that you are considering a Michigan school and a Florida school and you really must ask yourself what your goals are after graduation. It is hard enough to find employment locally, but these schools certainly give their students access to the national legal market.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

SellinEvo84Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 02:32:10 PM »
I strongly urge you to reconsider going to law school this year. These schools simply are not good law schools and it may be difficult for you to find employment. I don't know what you career goals are though.

What thing that concerns me is that you are considering a Michigan school and a Florida school and you really must ask yourself what your goals are after graduation. It is hard enough to find employment locally, but these schools certainly give their students access to the national legal market.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

The Michigan school is considered because I have been accepted, and with no other acceptances, and an hour glass running low, I must consider my options seriously. If I attend the Michigan school, I will transfer after 1L to a school in FL. I am on the waiting list for Barry, AAMPLE program for Nova, and "HOT Outta the INBOX" I just received an invitation to an AAMPLE program at Florida Coastal. With the same criteria as former.

So do I attempt the AAMPLE challenge, for a $3500 additional cost, or bust my butt during 1L and transfer to a more respected school. In addition, given the new info (Florida Coastal), which of the two AAMPLE program's should I choose?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 02:50:15 PM »
It's worth noting that the chances of getting through the AAMPLE program are roughly the same as those of actually graduating from Cooley and passing the bar (i.e. less than 50/50).

A much easier option would be to retake the LSAT and apply next year. Then get into those same schools with scholarship money.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

SellinEvo84Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:20:55 PM »
It's worth noting that the chances of getting through the AAMPLE program are roughly the same as those of actually graduating from Cooley and passing the bar (i.e. less than 50/50).

A much easier option would be to retake the LSAT and apply next year. Then get into those same schools with scholarship money.

Granted, but it will be my third time taking the LSAT. <12/08(145) 09/07(138)> Is the option of transferring that minuscule to consider? I succumbed to a low SAT score as well, so it would be safe to say I am not the best at standardized tests.

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
Have you tried taking an LSAT prep class?  I stand by the advice that it is better to get into a school that you would be happy to graduate from.  You also cannot count on a transfer, even though I doubt it is very difficult to transfer from a T4 to a T4.

If you do manage to do really well, FSU could be an option for transfer which may work out well for you since it appears you would like to be in FL. Still, you can't count on a transfer to a particular school, especially from Cooley.

If you are really set on going to school this year and not trying to increase your numbers, I would try for the FL schools.

Good luck to you.

SellinEvo84Law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 04:04:49 PM »
I attended TestWell Prep. They are originally out of Mass., but have classes in New York City. When I entered I scored a 138, when I finished, 139. After a tall glass of the hard stuff, I went over all the material again myself. Then end result was a 145. It was almost a bitter-sweet moment to say the least.