Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The REAL Michigan?  (Read 574 times)

thegourmetpig

• View Profile
The REAL Michigan?
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:20:35 PM »
So, I'm probably headed to Michigan in the fall. I've deferred, but now I'm ready to go to law school. Problem is, the thought of Ann Arbor is scaring me. When I had applied, I got in to Northwestern and GULC, and was waitlisted at Penn, Chicago, UVA and NYU. I'm a city person, and generally would like to live and work on the East Coast (NYC/DC). I'm not completely opposed to Michigan, but a minor part of me wants to reapply. I know, you all think I'm crazy. But I am considering academics, and at the very least government positions.

So, the question is. I know Michigan had a top reputation (on par with Harvard and Yale) thirty years ago. How much of that is still true. What kind of opportunities do I have if I rank highly at Michigan? East Coast or West Coast? Any insight?
Michigan '12

DrLazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The REAL Michigan?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 12:41:44 AM »
Most of my friends/acquaintances here are actually doing government work and I've gotten the impression that getting those positions, so long as you have the right kind of resume and have a genuine interest, isn't frighteningly difficult.  Academia is just as competitive here as it is at the other mid to lower T14's.

With respect to getting a biglaw job in a major market, I do have one friend this year who is having some problems.  Everyone else I know (with wide ranging grades) got V100 with ease and several of them went to DC.  Using Vault as a ranking scheme is problematic, but I'm just doing it for ease.  In short, big firm work didn't seem to be a problem.

I'm happy with my grades and my Journal involvement and have been told that I definitely have a good shot at clerkships.  I have a few 3L friends who have similar high grades and/or are up there on Journals and they don't seem to be having problems tapping into some amazing opportunities.

Michigan isn't Harvard or anything, but out of that list, I think you'll have similar opportunities at Michigan.  Out of the schools you listed, the only real standout for your goals would be Chicago for its clerkships/academia potential.  Even then, becoming a professor is tough out of most schools and, if you were deferred with a good scholarship offer, I don't know if it'd be worth turning it down to try again with Chicago and the others you listed. 

Michigan 2010.  Brr.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:44 AM »
The only problem with Michigan is that it's in Michigan, which is a totally dying state. But fear not, the university will always stand strong atop the wasted ruins of the state. The school will serve you well and give you the chance to escape the state to pretty much anywhere else in the country.

So yeah, go to Michigan.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:57:09 PM »
I know about 1/2 of the judges on the 2nd circuit (NY, CT, VT) went to Michigan law.  Michigan is probably the best school after the T5 if you want to move back east and have clerkship/academia/biglaw opportunities.     
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
Beyond all of your other concerns, it's obviously not to your advantage to reapply if you're already in at a school like Michigan - based on what it looks like has been happening this semester, law schools are getting more applications, and are therefore exercising higher standards.  Take what you've got and don't tempt fate.
Vandy Law 2011