Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.49 and 169  (Read 2302 times)

whitman

• View Profile
    • Email
3.49 and 169
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
at a top 5 public university, in the honors program.  I think I might need to spend a couple of years doing Peace Corps, AmeriCorps or workingto get where I need to be.  What do you guys think?

Do I have a shot at:

1.   Cal, Berkeley
2.   Georgetown
3.   Vanderbilt
4.   UCLA
5.   University of Southern California
6.   Emory
7.   Boston College
8.   University of Washington
9.   University of Colorado
10.   Georgia
11.   UNC
12.   Tulane
13.   UT

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.49 and 169
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »
Heh, I went to a top 5 public (without the honors program, though I'd say at my school honors didn't mean a hell of a lot). Same LSAT, slightly lower GPA (3.4).

1.   Cal, Berkeley (I didn't apply, but expect a ding)
2.   Georgetown (I was WLed)
3.   Vanderbilt (in with $)
4.   UCLA (WL)
5.   University of Southern California (WL)
6.   Emory (in, probably would have had money had I not screwed up and not returned the form)
7.   Boston College (in with $)
8.   University of Washington (I'd say you're very likely in out of state, but who knows with publics with quotas)
9.   University of Colorado (same as U Dub)
10.   Georgia (same ole)
11.   UNC (ugh, don't go there. They are on the down and out. Can you tell which top 5 public I went to?)
12.   Tulane (in with $)
13.   UT (I got in with $)

You should apply to Cornell (I got $) too, if only to use as leverage with the other top 20 schools you'll get into.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

whitman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:28 AM »
Wow that is handy having someone with such a similar background to provide me with an idea of where I stand.  How did you decide on Vanderbilt?  I know a lot of people will tell you to go to the highest ranked school you got into, which, in your case, would be Cornell.  I don't think that is a law that should be absolutely respected, though.  Just curious about how you made your decision.  Vanderbilt is amazing.  Beautiful campus, excellent law building, right across the street from SatCo, good music, not to mention a great school.  I imagine you made a good decision.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 02:32:05 AM »
I have to go to bed now, but I'll reply some time tomorrow via PM.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 02:41:01 AM »
Just kidding. Here's a friend of mine who was similarly situated. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rcoffield

LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
I am similarly situated as well (JNSL was my numbers twin last cycle).  I got into Michigan and Cornell in the T14, as well as Vanderbilt.  Background:  non-prestigious state school.  Very strong upward GPA (last three years were a 3.9).  Some extracirriculars.  White guy who came from an low socioeconomic situation. 

If you have good diversity factors (i.e. are not a standard middle class white person without some impressive talent or accomplishment) then I imagine you would be in good shape for some T20 schools.  I would recommend casting a wider T14 net -- perhaps add Michigan, Virginia, Cornell in there for example.  Work really hard on your application package.  Sell yourself.  Give a couple of ZJs to admissions committee members. Good luck.
_______
.|E|R|S.

PravinLal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 06:25:54 PM »
Similar #'s
I'm WL at Mich, UVa, GTown
In at WUSTL, GW, BC
Fairly large scholarship at W&L, W&M, UIUC
Still waiting on Vandy

I didn't apply to a lot of the same schools.  I put some time into polishing my apps because my softs could be good or bad depending on the spin.  The most striking thing I have found is that I got $$ where I wrote optional essays and little to no $ where I did not.

rekopter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009, 07:08:40 PM »
In with $$ at CU-Boulder. (No in-state quotas here, JNSL.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:48:01 PM »
Ah good to know.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 01:10:11 AM »
Similar #'s
I'm WL at Mich, UVa, GTown
In at WUSTL, GW, BC
Fairly large scholarship at W&L, W&M, UIUC
Still waiting on Vandy

I didn't apply to a lot of the same schools.  I put some time into polishing my apps because my softs could be good or bad depending on the spin.  The most striking thing I have found is that I got $$ where I wrote optional essays and little to no $ where I did not.

Agreed you should get $$ at illinois (if you applied), and probably at minnesota too.  Not sure about optional essays though, i didn't see any pattern there with my apps.