Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall Law Application - Traffic Violations  (Read 12715 times)

lawcatl12

• View Profile
John Marshall Law Application - Traffic Violations
« on: February 26, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »
Okay, this has to be a mistake, right?   This is what they ask for:

Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, arrested, charged or convicted for violation of any law, INCLUDING TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS?

Then they want us to attach a separate sheet listing them all and attach the arresting officer's report, complaint, etc.

What do I do about parking and speeding tickets that I got more than 5 years ago and just can't remember exactly when or where?  And I don't have copies of my tickets lying around to attach.  I don't even keep them past a year or so after I pay them.  Please help, I don't want to say no, but I don't know what to write when I say yes.

Thanks in advance.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: John Marshall Law Application - Traffic Violations
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
I'd call the school for clarification if you're unsure about any aspect of your app.  Better to make an anonymous inquiry than to have an incomplete app.  Sorry I can't be more of a help.

lawcatl12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:42:46 PM »
Thanks, I'm going to call.  I'm just surprised by the question.  I talked to lots of other admissions people and they all said anything under $200 isn't a problem.  Others specifically omit moving violations.  I don't know if they are trying to get us ready for disclosure on the Bar?

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:06:57 PM »
Yeah, it is a little strange the way the question is phrased.  Most of the time they say something that lets you know that you can exclude things like parking tickets.  They may just be looking for speeding tickets/other moving violations, but weren't very specific.  Update the thread when you know- I'm curious if that's what they meant or not.  Good luck!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 01:05:55 AM »
I am not sure about John Marshall but most of the schools just want to know about speeding tickets that were over a certain amount (if I recall most where like over $150, not including the fee) but just call the school. I am sure it won't be a deal breaker, especially non-serious violations from 5 years ago. I am pretty sure they are excluding parking tickets. Just call and ask.

lawcatl12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:05:29 AM »
I called and they told me they want everything, not just anything over $200 that most schools ask for but they understand that you might not be able to remember old speeding tickets and parking tickets.  (They actually don't care about parking tickets but said it wouldn't be a bad idea to include them.)    Really they are interested in more serious violations but they ask for everything because isn't so much for them but to prepare us for having to do this for the bar.

They told me I didn't have to track down when I got the tickets and the arresting officer, etc.  I only have to write down approx. when I got the speeding tickets and perhaps parking send it in with the application.

Thanks for the help.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:22:21 AM »
Good to know, thanks for the update  ;)

chi2009

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 01:45:39 PM »
I asked about this recently since I just got all the orientation materials, including the ones about amending an application if you omitted anything at all from your original application.  I realized I forgot to list a traffic ticket (talking on a cell phone while driving), so I emailed the dean to ask about it.  He said to make a "good faith effort" on listing each one and the dates.  However, I just decided to get a driving record from the DMV.  It only costs $12, and it ensures that you list absolutely everything.  Better safe than sorry.

gallagheria

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 03:07:30 AM »
I asked about this recently since I just got all the orientation materials, including the ones about amending an application if you omitted anything at all from your original application.  I realized I forgot to list a traffic ticket (talking on a cell phone while driving), so I emailed the dean to ask about it.  He said to make a "good faith effort" on listing each one and the dates.  However, I just decided to get a driving record from the DMV.  It only costs $12, and it ensures that you list absolutely everything.  Better safe than sorry.
They are asking it in preparation for the state bar most likely. I know in Alabama the state bar asks the exact same question, and all law students are required to register with the state bar when they begin law school.