Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do 1st Sem. grades predict 2nd Sem. grades?  (Read 1466 times)

transfereetobe

• View Profile
Do 1st Sem. grades predict 2nd Sem. grades?
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:34:25 PM »
Hi everyone.

I am a 1L at a school in the low 40's.  For the four grades I received first semester, I received the highest exam grade in two classes and did well on the other two, and I have reason to believe I'm in the top 3% of the class.  I decided last semester that I really wanted to try to transfer if possible, and my grades pretty much solidified it. 

I'm now working even harder than last semester because I really would like similar results.  Can anyone who has also been down this road shed some light on my question - are first semester grades usually indicative of second semester performance? Although I was elated with my performance, I definitely do not want to be cocky or start slacking off - but I just remember how terrifying the curve was to me last semester and I'm having trouble telling myself that I can do that quality of work again.  Also, with this in mind, for all of you number buffs, could you let me know what chances you think I may have for transferring to a T-10? 

Thanks in advance.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Do 1st Sem. grades predict 2nd Sem. grades?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »
No.  Most of my friends, myself included, did really well the first semester and not as well the second semester.  As you have figured out, law school is a lot about learning how to successfully take an exam.  You were fortunate and learned early.  However, others will pick up the secrets, step up their game, and do significantly better their second semester.  You have to make sure you dont slack off in anyway this semester and that you try even harder.  You will need more detail in your exam answers and a generally much stronger analysis section to do that well again.  It is not difficult but wont be easy either.

oh, and congrats on the success so far :)  You clearly worked your butt off. 

JDLLMCPA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »
Apply to GULC immediately as they take applicants after first semester.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:47 PM »

Seconded.

Droz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:50:06 PM »

Seconded.

guesses on what it takes to get accepted EA to gulc??

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 05:03:58 PM »
top 3% from a t40's school :)  Do a little search on LSD because there are a lot of EA threads with people that have been accepted through the program.  I couldnt imagine you wouldnt get in based on the quality of your school/grades, but Id imagine a lot depends on the number of applicants. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »
Odds are if you did THAT well first semester, you will do well second.  Do exactly what you did before, then apply to T10 schools and throw in a set of HYS applications.  Top 3% would definitely give you a shot, especially if you maintain it.