Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Illinois 1L - Ask away  (Read 3998 times)

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
Illinois 1L - Ask away
« on: February 26, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
I've got a big writing assignment I'd like to avoid, so feel free to distract me.  Ask me anything.  I'll see what my magic 8 ball has in store.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois 1L - Ask away
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 02:09:28 PM »
taggity tag tag tag
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

SwampFox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
I realize you are a first-year student, but can you provide details on the breadth of the intellectual property program?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 11:44:09 PM »
i honestly don't know anything about IP, but one of my friends is into it so i'll get back to you - at some point.  The next few days will be nuts though, so gimmie a little bit.

I do know that the few guys i know that are engineering types have already had a few interviews on campus.  But like i said, i'll let you know.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »
By the way, I hope everyone who's been accepted already is comin to the open house on friday - i'm lookin at you non parata.  You'll get to sit in on Prof. Hamilton's property class with us at 1030, and Hamilton is the total bomb.

Friday's also "unofficial st. patrick's day" at U of I, which means we'll be doin jager bombs before our 9am classes and keepin it up all day and all night.  i can't imagine a better time to come hang.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »
Alas, I was at a conference this weekend, so I couldn't make the visit.  I'll definitely be there on the 3rd though.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
I realize you are a first-year student, but can you provide details on the breadth of the intellectual property program?

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you on this.  I think your best bet would simply to look through the admissions materials, or ask the admissions staff.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:20 AM »
Does Urbana-Champaign have a big undergrad-fratty feel?

How late are the bars open?  In the bad little town where I go to school, bars are open until 4-ish.  I don't understand when I visit other towns (or even big cities) and everything shuts down at midnight.

Do a lot of people go to St. Louis?  D.C.?

How often do you get out to basketball/football games?

What's your #1 favorite thing about UIUC?  #1 least favorite thing?

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:41 PM »
Frattiness: 
  Eh, it's a big public university, so yeah there are frats.  As a law students though, we're very much in our own little law student world.  We never see or notice them.  I can only imagine frat types being an issue if you chose to live near a frat, but none of my friends do.  In terms of hang outs, there are 2 distinct bar scenes at C-U.  Green street (campus) has the undergrad bars, which some of us will go to on occasion if we feel like dancing/partying hard.  Usually though, most law students go to downtown champaign, which is a much more grown-up scene.

Bars:
  Always open till 2.  The fun thing though (or bad, depending on your POV), is that the undergrad green st. bars allow in 19+, while 21+ get bracelets to drink.  This makes for great opportunities to drop the law bomb: "My buddy here is #1 in the law school class..."  I've seen this work to marvelous effect.

St. Louis / D.C.:
  I assume you mean for jobs at graduation.  The short of it: I don't really know, as 1) i'm a 1L, and 2) the job market has really changed, and no one knows exactly how yet.  I would say, though, that lots of grads go to Indy/St. Louis -- they're both actually a little closer than Chicago.  As for D.C., i'm sure that class rank would have something to do with it, as well as personal/prior experience.  One of my friends is former military, for example, so i think it's alot easier for him to talk to people in DC.  Generally speaking though, this is a Chicago-based school.

Basketball/football:
  Football is definately a big deal during the fall, especially while it's still nice out.  Tailgate parties tend to go all day, and the whole town basically shuts down for the home games.  If you've got alot of work to do on saturday, be sure to bring your books home on friday, 'cause you're not getting anywhere near the law school on game day.  Basketball seems to attract a little less attention, probably just because it's cold outside.  I've been to games though (eff MSU).

Favorite thing (2 actually):
  It's Law School!  Besides having the best job on earth, though, I love how tight everyone is.  Beer League Darts and the Law School Softball league is a total blast.  We all just seem to have a great time, and get along really well together.  I know people talk about competitive or unfriendly atmospheres at some schools, but that's really not an issue here (although it does get a little tense around exams). 

I've also gotta throw in our relationships with our profs.  With "peer's pub" on thursday (going on as I write this), and all the various events (PILF Auction!) we get to hang out and drink with our professors a fair amount.  Watching the factulty get wasted and rowdy, a day after they rip you apart in class, is awesome.

Worst:
  No hardcore alumni base in far-flung states.  As someone who plans to go to [one such state] when I graduate, i'm a little curious about how much name recognition I'll get back home.  This school is definitely hard-wired into Chiacgo, which is a plus for most students, probly not so much for me (unless i decide to bite the bullet and do Chicago big law, which i'm trying to avoid for the moment).

Whew, Keep em comin folks!

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 02:20:50 AM »
Wow, thanks for some great responses.  I'm looking forward to the visit on April 3rd.