Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should matter most and why  (Read 481 times)

ohioan

• View Profile
What should matter most and why
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »
Going to school in an active legal market with more opportunities (chicago) or going to a school with a lower cost of living, better quality of life, more published faculty, overall better school?

For the purpose of this discussion, consider that the schools are tier 2, and the chicago school is bottom half tier 2 and the non-chicago school is upper tier 2

I am trying to get an idea of what should be more significant, the market location of a school, or the quality of the legal education iteself?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What should matter most and why
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 02:47:53 PM »
Depending on which schools, generally the better one even if it is in a worse market.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 02:53:26 PM »
Depending on which schools, generally the better one even if it is in a worse market.

I disagree, better chances to get a job in big city through networking if youíre not in top 20% of class than to get job not being in the top 20% of the class from school in BFE through OCI. Larger market beats rank in my book when youíre comparing T2 to T2. Iíll take my chances in a city of 3 million plus over being stuck in a city of 200k w/o a job but from a school ranked 20 spots higher. 
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

SamE397

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:25:04 PM »
The big question is where do you want to be? In comparing tier 2 schools most will limit your opportunities to a geographic region especially in the short term.

It's hard to say without knowing the schools you're looking at specifically but I'm going to say that in comparing a higher ranked school in a smaller market to a lower ranked school in a larger market that they're going to give you roughly equal positioning in the short term because in a larger market you will be competing against grads from higher ranked schools. For example in Chicago, if you go to Depaul or Loyola you're going to be behind graduates from UofI, NW, UofC, and top talent from other regional schools(I.E WUSTL, ND Wisconsin, OSU, and UofM). Whereas if you went to University of Utah you will basically be competing against students from BYU which is considered to be a slightly better but comparable school.

Though of course in the long term it's always possible that being in the bigger market could give you more opportunity for advancement.    

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »

I disagree, better chances to get a job in big city through networking if youíre not in top 20% of class than to get job not being in the top 20% of the class from school in BFE through OCI. Larger market beats rank in my book when youíre comparing T2 to T2. Iíll take my chances in a city of 3 million plus over being stuck in a city of 200k w/o a job but from a school ranked 20 spots higher. 

I think it depends a lot on the schools. If we're talking about some meh school in Chi Town v. some good school in a smaller market, I'd take my chances at somewhere in a smaller market. Like if we're talking DePaul v. Oklahoma or Nebraska or something, I don't know if it could even be a contest. But if we're talking about DePaul v. Indiana-I or New Mexico or somewhere along those lines, I think it becomes a much more market centered decision.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:57:53 PM »

I think it depends a lot on the schools. If we're talking about some meh school in Chi Town v. some good school in a smaller market, I'd take my chances at somewhere in a smaller market. Like if we're talking DePaul v. Oklahoma or Nebraska or something, I don't know if it could even be a contest. But if we're talking about DePaul v. Indiana-I or New Mexico or somewhere along those lines, I think it becomes a much more market centered decision.

Ever been to New Mexico, its not even an option, not even for people from New Mexico
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 10:14:24 AM »

Ever been to New Mexico, its not even an option, not even for people from New Mexico

Ah, the land of enchantment... even their license plates are hideous. Yeah, I've been there a few times... best part about the state is that pass that connects Colorado to Texas, though that road is scary as hell. Something about one lane in each direction with nothing more than a yellow line separating you from semi-trucks heading in the other direction while you're both doing about 100 mph. Fun times.

I know a guy with numbers that were a touch better than mine that ended up following a girl down there for law school. She blew him off real quick (in the bad way) and he was stuck there. I'm pretty sure he hates his life most days, but he seems to get good grades, so yeah.