Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Canadian General Degree and US Schools?  (Read 9206 times)

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Canadian General Degree and US Schools?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 07:28:31 PM »
Wrong - the majority of Canadian schools have switched to the JD designation.

The following Canadian schools offer a JD, per LSAC's website:
UBC, UofT, York, Queen's, U of Western Ontario

The following Canadian schools still offer a LLB:
UofA, UCalgary, Dalhousie, Manitoba, McGill, U.New Brunswick, U.Ottawa, U.Sask, UVic, UWindsor

Now, my math is rusty, by 5/15 is a pretty shaky majority, no?

Okay, it was an exaggeration. But do consider that the other schools will be following suit soon.

The fact that many, if not all, of the schools let in people without any undergraduate degree shows this.
"In recent years, approximately five applicants a year have been admitted without a four-year undergraduate degree."

You sure proved him wrong!

My argument is not about whether Canadian law schools admit those students with partially completed BAs - I've already demonstrated that a small number of students with exceptional academic records and a legitimate reason for pursuing a legal career get admitted - it's about whteher or not the LLB/JD designation is considered a second-entry or graduate degree in Canada.

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 07:41:52 PM »
Wrong - the majority of Canadian schools have switched to the JD designation.

The following Canadian schools offer a JD, per LSAC's website:
UBC, UofT, York, Queen's, U of Western Ontario

The following Canadian schools still offer a LLB:
UofA, UCalgary, Dalhousie, Manitoba, McGill, U.New Brunswick, U.Ottawa, U.Sask, UVic, UWindsor

Now, my math is rusty, by 5/15 is a pretty shaky majority, no?

Okay, it was an exaggeration. But do consider that the other schools, including Dal and Windsor will be following suit soon. In the next year or two this will constitute a majority. In any case, this does nothing to change anything but the title of the degree.

The fact that many, if not all, of the schools let in people without any undergraduate degree shows this.
"In recent years, approximately five applicants a year have been admitted without a four-year undergraduate degree."

You sure proved him wrong!

My argument is not about whether Canadian law schools admit those students with partially completed BAs - I've already demonstrated that a small number of students with exceptional academic records and a legitimate reason for pursuing a legal career get admitted - it's about whether or not the LLB/JD designation is considered a second-entry or graduate degree in Canada.

mark_darcy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
_sigh_

The point is in the US, you can't get in without an undergraduate degree.  In Canada, though it is extremely unlikely, you still can.

a four year honours degree != A four year degree != three year degree.

Only the first two will get you into law schools in the US, while there is a possibility for all three to get you into law school in Canada (including the (in)famous UofT.)

Just Saying.

But what do I know... I'm just in a US school with a four-year non-honours degree.  I was let in to my PhD program after one year of undergrad, but I turned it down.

MorningStar

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 03:38:41 AM »
Just to stir the pot a little here. For the record, 3 year degree from a Quebec University (BA, Poli Sci) and in at multiple T20 US Law Schools.  Although, this is likely unique to a students coming out of Quebec who are required to attend CEGEP but as a result only spend 3 years in university.  That being said, no school requested anything other than the grades from my first 2 years (applied during my 3rd and final year).

afels

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
I'm attending an aba approved us law school with a 3 year general from Carleton University  ;D