Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What area of law do you want to pursue?  (Read 8974 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: What area of law do you want to pursue?
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2009, 03:39:04 PM »
Wow, um WOW at this thread.

LawDog listen to Miss P, she knows whatís she talking about. Iím not an expert on criminal law but I have clerked for a criminal lawyer for the last year plus. I donít know what CBís lawyers are doing or how they plan to proceed, but I have a good idea how my boss would respond. He would not come up with any farfetched defenses, why? Because that stuff rarely works in real life. Instead he would do what we normally do for our clients who have a ton of evidence against them, chip away at small parts to get the best deal.

Very rarely do we have clients who are A) completely innocent or B) think they can get away with the crimes. Most often the role of a criminal defense attorney is to explain to his client what the prosecution has to prove, and given the evidence, how likely it is they can prove it. Guilt or innocence is rarely the primary issue in criminal defense in real life, its more the factors of the evidence and the possible end results if you take this or that path. In many situations itís the wrong move to try and defend against a claim, when the odds are good they can make that claim, its better offense to play good defense and try to get that claim bounced down or a deal done.

Lastly as my boss has said to many of our high profile clients in the past, you really donít want this to go to trial because it all becomes public info then and you will get crucified in the media. Sometimes its best for your client and their rep to not challenge a crime if they can make it disappear quickly out of the lime light rather than go through a widely publicized trial.

Like, GASP! OMG, Matthies, are you saying you should worry about the best interest of your client when there might be more interesting totally off-the-wall defenses you COULD try instead?!?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2009, 03:48:19 PM »
Why don't you learn to think like a lawyer??????!?!?!?!?!

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
He really is one of the worst. He strikes me as in-need-of-meds.

Oh come on you know nothing about the legal world

I dare you to find one instance where I have known nothing about the legal world

Bahahahahahaha

Awesome.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »
Okay LawDog, as a law student one does have to remain objective, but we are also required to take a stand on issues and cases.  All that happened here was that I did not take a stand in favor of Chris Brown.  

I am a human being, with feelings and opinions, just like any other person in law school.  Many lawyers defend clients that they know are guilty.  Do you think OJ's lawyers were completely and totally objective?  Do you think, deep down, they didn't feel as if they were doing something morally wrong?  Maybe they did, maybe they didn't, but they had to put aside their personal beliefs and emotions to get the job done.  If I really wanted to, or if I really had to, I could argue in favor of Chris Brown, but I don't want to, and I don't have to.  You assume that I am totally and completely incapable of succeeding in law school, because you assume that I am unable to remain objective and "see a case from all angles".  You are wrong, lawdog, and you have no justifiable reason to make such a judgment.

I am not a lawyer now.  I am not on Chris Brown's defense team, and I do NOT HAVE TO remain objective here.  I am on a message board, we all are, so...chill out.  Also, I have been required to write papers on countless occasions where I had to argue in favor of a position I disagree with, and I did quite well on all of them.

It all comes down to the fact that you need to get over yourself, LawDog, because (whether you realize this or not) you speak as if you're the best thing that ever happened to the legal profession.
Well behaved women rarely make history.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2009, 04:50:44 PM »
I thought that was a very good explication of exactly how his arguments are spurious and make no sense, and exactly where the logical leaps take place. It was nice of you to humor him.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2009, 06:14:05 PM »
LawDog = Future SCOTUS clerk.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2009, 09:52:19 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

Dude...until you start really law school, sit in a real class, take a real exam, etc...just chill.

I know, I know blah blah blah Georgetown, blah blah blah sound like a lawyer, blah blah blah moot court. That and 35 cents will get you a 3 minute phone call.

Just relax.

Tis all.

[Sidebar...this many pages in is WAAAY past the LSD limit for thread jacking, so I'll indulge with no shame]

Miss P ...long time no hear from. Been grinding on the appellate brief from hell. How are things with you?

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »
Let me just point out the LawDog is now absent again. He seems to disappear from threads a lot... fascinating.

Anyone want to go back to the original subject? I don't want to be a criminal defense lawyer and I imagine a lot of you out there don't either. What do you want to do and why?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2009, 11:03:34 PM »
I do.

I can be quiet now. Promise.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
I do.

I can be quiet now. Promise.

Me too.