Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What area of law do you want to pursue?  (Read 9088 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What area of law do you want to pursue?
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2009, 03:24:28 AM »
[blah blah] What is illogical about telling people to withhold judgement and exercize their brains...look at an issue from multiple angles since, as I aptly pointed out, that's what we all supposedly hope to do in our life's work? [blah blah]

What part of speculating that Rihanna was a "crazy female dog" who deserved to be beaten up and expressing your enthusiasm about the prospect of getting Chris Brown "off the hook" was withholding judgment?  While I agree with the others that you are confusing legal concepts -- burdens of proof, innocence until proven guilty -- with moral values and analytical skills, I also think you're terribly inconsistent.  If you're withholding judgment, you're not rooting for him to go unpunished and inventing, out of thin air, affirmative defenses.

ETA: As someone who is about to be a criminal defense lawyer, I will add that you are not thinking like any (criminal defense) lawyer I know. 

Oh yeah? Let me tell you what's going to happen to you when you get to law school:

A professor is going to give you a fact pattern on an exam that looks just like the CB and Rihanna situation (on the surface, it will seem obvious in some way), and then he's going to tell you to defend Chris Brown! And you will have to find a way to do it effectively or fail the question. The question will be 40% of the exam. And he's going to ask you to consider as many angles as you possisbly can before concluding. And you are going to be completely disheveled b/c of your inability to think outside of the lines and consider what is missing, of potential counter-arguments to your position.

Or that same professor might "cold-call" you (aka, blast you with the Socratic Method) for 45 minutes on ways to defend CB, and you, with your prejudices and inability to analyze issues from multiple angles, will be frozen. Your classmates will reject you as "ovdermatched" and will not want you in their study groups b/c you will have nothing substantial to add. You will be branded a one-note player.

Or, in appellate Advocacy, you are going to get completely spanked by your opponent at the end of the quarter/semester in mock trials b/c you cannot anticipate the opposition's arguments. You grade will be a C or lower because your exam, brief and essays will exhibit the same closed-mindedness you show here.

You are missing the fundamentals of what I am saying. And you are making assumptions. I already said I do not agree with beating up a woman, but that isn't what we should be discussing. A real law student...a future lawyer would be thinking of how to hypothetically defend CB, not out of compassionm for him or contempt for women, but out of a sense of the craft of law. Law is a craft, people. You should respect it, b/c it's the only one of its kind.

But, you sound sad with your prejudgements, emotional rants and (in a few cases) hidden biggotry.

None of that garbage you wrote above applies to me. There's nothing inconsistent about what I am saying...AT ALL. And my law teachers at Georgetown thought I sounded a lot like a lawyer, especially when I beat a future GULC Law Review editor in our moot court.

Let me tell you what you do not know:

You don't know whether or not she will be charged herself for hitting CB with the keys or the phone.

You don't know whether she threatened CB first or not, which would make a reasonable person yell out a threat back.

You don't know what their relationship history is.

You don't know if Rihanna has a medical history, for instance, that causes her to bruise easily. That weakens arguments about the briutality of the attack.

You don't know how much weight a jury will give to the "post-traumatic stress" CB allegedly suffers from, if any, and how that would or should affect his sentence.

There's so much more that you don't know; you don't know the case! As an 0L, you likely don't know any of the "elements" for 1st degree assault or attempted murder. You likely don't know what "elements" are. I do, b/c I have been trained to look for the elements and break them separately.

You also do not know that I worked on a domestic violence project for two years in the Seattle Area with the New Beginnings Women's Shelter. I have also had one semester's worth of actual graded law work (where I held an A- average), which is more than most of you have. I have won cases pro se in actual court, once taking on an ADA's myself and whipping the pants off of her...mostly b/c she was like you...she could only think from one angle and didn't do that very well.

Look...the easy thing to do is rush to judgement and side with Rihanna. If you practice dsoing that, that is exactly the type of lawyer you will become. You'll only be able to handle easy cases and you won't make your firm better. You will have an unremarkable career. The great lawyers don't take the easy cases; they seek out the hard ones. They get the hard calls and they get all the well-deserved accolades b/c they win the hard cases. They make all of the real money.

You want to make emotional decisions? Go ahead. But, you're better-off selling real estate. 

You know nothing about my history and you are arguing points that cannot be argued. You sound absolutely stupid. I am telling everyone to wait for the evidence. You have none...no "facts". You have pictures and speculation by mass media. That's it. I doubt you know any criminal defense lawyers, if you think I am inconsistent. I sit next to a lawyer every day and type this stuff, and he laughs at you guys.

And putting together well-written sentences that SOUND like they are making cogent critiques does not make you a scholar, nor does it win this debate for you. I am 100% correct in what I am saying below and it all makes sense. Moreover, you should never have jumped on the topic in the first place. 

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2009, 03:26:33 AM »
[blah blah] What is illogical about telling people to withhold judgement and exercize their brains...look at an issue from multiple angles since, as I aptly pointed out, that's what we all supposedly hope to do in our life's work? [blah blah]

What part of speculating that Rihanna was a "crazy female dog" who deserved to be beaten up and expressing your enthusiasm about the prospect of getting Chris Brown "off the hook" was withholding judgment?  While I agree with the others that you are confusing legal concepts -- burdens of proof, innocence until proven guilty -- with moral values and analytical skills, I also think you're terribly inconsistent.  If you're withholding judgment, you're not rooting for him to go unpunished and inventing, out of thin air, affirmative defenses.

ETA: As someone who is about to be a criminal defense lawyer, I will add that you are not thinking like any (criminal defense) lawyer I know. 

Oh yeah? Let me tell you what's going to happen to you when you get to law school: [lengthy diatribe]

You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

So yeah, I think I'd be more prone to listen to her than your hypothesizing about what law school might be like.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2009, 03:30:35 AM »

Oh yeah? Let me tell you what's going to happen to you when you get to law school: [lengthy diatribe]

You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

So yeah, I think I'd be more prone to listen to her than your hypothesizing about what law school might be like.

I am technically not an 0L. And many a 3L graduate knowing nothing about the law. And...did you read that I have had some law school? Read th post, fool. I have been through a semester and taken real graded exams and done moot court. I have written a major brief. Plus, my outside experience puts me far ahead of the curve.

Your shefriend is not making arguments, she's crying about women's rights. And there's no argument there, b/c I agree with those rights. I have been a domestic violence advocate. I was a theater major and I co-directed a domestic violence and date-rape project.

But this is not about that. it's not about who's a student. It's about what people are demonstrating by their remarks.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2009, 03:34:26 AM »
You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

I am technically not an 0L. And many a 3L graduate knowing nothing about the law. And...did you read that I have had some law school? Read th post, fool.

:D

Oh really?  You have a year of law school under your belt and you're still this hopelessly uninformed on the process and what law school is actually about?  I think that's scarier.

You talking about one win in moot court sounds a bit like Al Bundy bragging about scoring 4 touchdowns in a single game at Polk High School.  No one cares.  And it doesn't make your (incorrect) points any more valid.

ETA: And to the additional added portion of your post (which you added AFTER I quoted the entirety of your post as previously shown, above), you continue to show that you are either a fantastic troll or really, utterly clueless.  If you are really trying to push that people should have more respect for the craft of the law, maybe you should have more respect for creating a cogent, well-articulated argument.  If so many people take issue with what you're saying, perhaps you should do some self reflection and understand that perhaps you aren't showing proper respect for the legal craft by arguing sloppily.  Anyway, have fun with your self-congratulatory posts. 

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2009, 03:42:52 AM »
You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

I am technically not an 0L. And many a 3L graduate knowing nothing about the law. And...did you read that I have had some law school? Read th post, fool.

Oh really?  You have a year of law school under your belt and you're still this hopelessly uninformed on the process and what law school is actually about?  I think that's scarier.

You talking about one win in moot court sounds a bit like Al Bundy bragging about scoring 4 touchdowns in a single game at Polk High School.  No one cares.  And it doesn't make your (incorrect) points any more valid.

ETA: And to the additional added portion of your post (which you added AFTER I quoted the entirety of your post as previously shown, above), you continue to show that you are either a fantastic troll or really, utterly clueless.  If you are really trying to push that people should have more respect for the craft of the law, maybe you should have more respect for creating a cogent, well-articulated argument.  If so many people take issue with what you're saying, perhaps you should do some self reflection and understand that perhaps you aren't showing proper respect for the legal craft by arguing sloppily.  Anyway, have fun with your self-congratulatory posts. 

You keep saying my argfuments are flawed, but offer no tangible evidence to refute my logic. So...do it.

It shoukld be easy. QQUIT MAKING ACCUSATIONS AND MAKE YOUR ARGUMENTS. AND I AM NOT CLULESS ABOUT ANYTHING. I get admitted...I have gotten admitted and i hope I see you at Harvard or wherever it is you think you are going. You suck and you know you suck.

If my arguments are flawed...PROVE IT. highlight a sentence and point out the flaw. identify it by name and tell us all WHY it is flawed. Go ahead!

Otherwise...STFU!

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2009, 03:45:21 AM »

You keep saying my argfuments are flawed, but offer no tangible evidence to refute my logic. So...do it.

It shoukld be easy. QQUIT MAKING ACCUSATIONS AND MAKE YOUR ARGUMENTS. AND I AM NOT CLULESS ABOUT ANYTHING. I get admitted...I have gotten admitted and i hope I see you at Harvard or wherever it is you think you are going. You suck and you know you suck.

If my arguments are flawed...PROVE IT. highlight a sentence and point out the flaw. identify it by name and tell us all WHY it is flawed. Go ahead!

Otherwise...STFU!

Somehow I seriously doubt I'll see you at Harvard.

Besos  :-*

And if we're talking about your failures in general, let me direct your attention back to the thread about Berkeley and Texas scholarship matching.  You were addressed in that thread and failed to respond which just tells me that bothering to correct you (or even argue) is equivalent to just tilting at windmills.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2009, 06:29:22 AM »

You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

I am technically not an 0L. And many a 3L graduate knowing nothing about the law. And...did you read that I have had some law school? Read th post, fool. I have been through a semester and taken real graded exams and done moot court. I have written a major brief. Plus, my outside experience puts me far ahead of the curve.

Your shefriend is not making arguments, she's crying about women's rights. And there's no argument there, b/c I agree with those rights. I have been a domestic violence advocate. I was a theater major and I co-directed a domestic violence and date-rape project.

But this is not about that. it's not about who's a student. It's about what people are demonstrating by their remarks.

'I have black friends...'
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »

Otherwise...STFU!

Somehow I seriously doubt I'll see you at Harvard.

Besos  :-*

And if we're talking about your failures in general, let me direct your attention back to the thread about Berkeley and Texas scholarship matching.  You were addressed in that thread and failed to respond which just tells me that bothering to correct you (or even argue) is equivalent to just tilting at windmills.

And furthermore has still failed to respond to this when it's been pointed out in this thread! Utterly childish.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
You = 0L

Miss P = 3L

Otherwise...STFU!

You sound pretty clueless and full of yourself.  You just told a 3L that plenty of 3L's know nothing about the law whereas your one semester and outside experiences mean you know plenty.  Doesn't it bother you that not one other person in this thread seems to think as highly of you as you do?

You're either somebody's idea of a joke, or a sad sad human being.
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
At least the fact that he was a theater major sheds some light on why he is so dramatic.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.