Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What area of law do you want to pursue?  (Read 8807 times)

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
Re: What area of law do you want to pursue?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
I'm sorry, this is just a really sensitive issue for me.  My entire life I've wanted to go to law school and get a law degree so that I can use it to help end violence against women and girls.  That is all.  I honestly didn't mean to start an agrument.
Well behaved women rarely make history.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2009, 08:55:49 PM »
I'm sorry, this is just a really sensitive issue for me.  My entire life I've wanted to go to law school and get a law degree so that I can use it to help end violence against women and girls.  That is all.  I honestly didn't mean to start an agrument.

I really don't think there's anything for which you need to apologize.  :)
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

You didn't, and you have nothing to apologize for. I shouldn't have engaged lawdog to begin with, but this likewise a sensitive and important subject for me too. I have watched and helped too many people struggle to escape abusive relationships to let a DV apologist go unchallenged. However, I won't be addressing lawdog any further, not because he has said anything that I agree with or feel beaten by, but because he's proven time and again that he's incapable of holding a logical discussion.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:17 PM »
Also, like, uh-duh, lawdog, your posts are perfectly (perfectly!) relevant to the thread given this:
My entire life I've wanted to go to law school and get a law degree so that I can use it to help end violence against women and girls.

In fact, you're the one who got the thread back on topic! Well done you! So if anyone needs to "go back to the OP's topic," it's definitely not you.

Lawdog, you stink up everything you're associated with. It irritates me to no end that it's for good things, but nevertheless, you have a talent. Give yourself a pat on the back.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2009, 01:29:30 AM »

I agree...nothing to apologize for.

And Susan B. What is illogical about telling people to withhold judgement and exercize their brains...look at an issue from multiple angles since, as I aptly pointed out, that's what we all supposedly hope to do in our life's work? Tell me please...Tell me what is illogical about the maxim "Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect". Did you not try to perfect your LSAT-taking skills before you sat for the real thing? Conceptually, the idea that Candy refuses to think as a law student or lawyer because she is not yet in law school is disingenuous and, frankly, demonstrates a lack of intellectual and emotional chops for the career she is seeking, the community she hopes to be a part of.

Such a person will someday soon respond in class that the Supreme Court was wrong in its decision "because they just are, that all".

First rule of being a lawyer: it doesn't matter what you think, only what you can prove. And none of us can yet prove that CB is a batterer. There appears to be some evidence that he has a problem and that he brutalized his girlfriend. But everything I said below demonstrates that I hold very logical conversations. Don't go there. I frustrate only the weak. I stink only to the weak. The strong always give me my props.

What part of any of that is illogical, Susan B.?

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »
Can you name any poster on this board, then, that has ever given you props?

NOTHING you said below demonstrates ANYTHING LIKE the fact that you ostensibly "hold very logical conversations." In fact, EVERYTHING you said below demonstrates PRECISELY THE OPPOSITE.

Also, I noticed that you haven't responded in the Texas/Berkeley matching-funds thread. A really mature person (read: not you) would admit his or her mistake when it's pointed out.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

bl825

• Sr. Citizen
  • There are just so many reasons to smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »

I agree...nothing to apologize for.

And Susan B. What is illogical about telling people to withhold judgement and exercize their brains...look at an issue from multiple angles since, as I aptly pointed out, that's what we all supposedly hope to do in our life's work? Tell me please...Tell me what is illogical about the maxim "Practice doesn't make perfect; perfect practice makes perfect". Did you not try to perfect your LSAT-taking skills before you sat for the real thing? Conceptually, the idea that Candy refuses to think as a law student or lawyer because she is not yet in law school is disingenuous and, frankly, demonstrates a lack of intellectual and emotional chops for the career she is seeking, the community she hopes to be a part of.

Such a person will someday soon respond in class that the Supreme Court was wrong in its decision "because they just are, that all".

First rule of being a lawyer: it doesn't matter what you think, only what you can prove. And none of us can yet prove that CB is a batterer. There appears to be some evidence that he has a problem and that he brutalized his girlfriend. But everything I said below demonstrates that I hold very logical conversations. Don't go there. I frustrate only the weak. I stink only to the weak. The strong always give me my props.

What part of any of that is illogical, Susan B.?

I'm sure you think you hold very logical conversations, but you certainly don't seem able to prove it.  ;)

Are you already a lawyer by the way?  Is that how you know what the rules of being a lawyer are?  ???
Oh yea...you're delicious and lean, but unsustainable and not to be consumed daily.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
Lawdog has become my new 'most annoying poster'.

Usually people annoy others on this board with just one or two dumb sentences.  He manages to fill pages with them. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
[blah blah] What is illogical about telling people to withhold judgement and exercize their brains...look at an issue from multiple angles since, as I aptly pointed out, that's what we all supposedly hope to do in our life's work? [blah blah]

What part of speculating that Rihanna was a "crazy female dog" who deserved to be beaten up and expressing your enthusiasm about the prospect of getting Chris Brown "off the hook" was withholding judgment?  While I agree with the others that you are confusing legal concepts -- burdens of proof, innocence until proven guilty -- with moral values and analytical skills, I also think you're terribly inconsistent.  If you're withholding judgment, you're not rooting for him to go unpunished and inventing, out of thin air, affirmative defenses.

ETA: As someone who is about to be a criminal defense lawyer, I will add that you are not thinking like any (criminal defense) lawyer I know. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2009, 02:26:24 AM »
I go back and forth through a million different ideas that all sound like interesting work IP, internet, environmental, tax, property, criminal (defense and prosecution), etc.

Right now I'm really attracted to Int'l law, with an eye on working for the state department.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.