Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What area of law do you want to pursue?  (Read 8831 times)

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: What area of law do you want to pursue?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »
1. There's a difference between having a defense and "getting [someone] off the hook." I never said that he wasn't entitled to representation.

2. Crazy female dog or no, there is never any excuse for the kinds of injuries inflicted on Rihanna. None whatsoever. It doesn't matter if anyone was there to witness it, I can tell you right now that there is no justification, and I can't believe that you would suggest that whether she's a crazy female dog has any relevance to the matter. Being an apologist for that kind of behavior is one of the things that perpetuates the problem. The only thing that would exonerate him would be if there was someone else there who beat her, and no one is suggesting that is the case.

3. You know, I'm a little sick of people pulling out the "innocent until proven guilty" bull. This is, of course, absolutely vital in the courts, but I don't need a jury to tell me that he's a miserable human being who did something that is, to me, unforgivable. I may not want our justice system to pass judgment on him, or anyone else, without legally sufficient evidence, but that doesn't mean that I can't exercise my own judgment.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »

I met an entertainment lawyer (young guy, guest speaker) when I was at Georgetown who wasn't even in the top-50% of his law class at Howard. He made $1.5M in 2004! No need to be partner at your firm or sports/talent agency, just be a hustler and build a good client base that will depend on you. Know your industries well and SAG, the NFL, the NBA, and all the rest will pay top-dollar for your consulting services or negotiating skills. Or if you want to go to Disney, well...have you heard about the salaries they pay? It's ridiculous.

Disney is pretty well-known for generally paying pretty awful salaries relative to the rest of the market.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
Miss B. Anthony, you rock.  :)

To the furture entertainment lawyer:  I saw the police affidavit for the whole Rihanna/Chris Brown fiasco.  I can't remember if I saw it on Access Hollywood or Entertainment tonight, but that's beside the point.  It basically stated that the fight started after Chris Brown received a 3 page text message from a lady friend he had a previous sexual relationship with.  Rihanna saw this and become upset.  Chris Brown started to beat her and slam her head into the window.  He tried to push her out of the car, but because she was wearing a seat belt, he failed.  This made him even more mad, upon which he screamed, "I'm going to kick your ass when we get home!"  He continued to punch her in the face while driving, and even put her in a headlock and bit her, until she started to lose conscious.  Yeah...Chris Brown beat the crap out of this tiny, skinny, petite woman.  Regardless of what she said or did, he was in the wrong, and people need to stop sticking up for him.  If he did that to YOUR mother, sister, best friend, girlfriend, whatever, you would not be so kind as to give him the benefit of the doubt.

1. There's a difference between having a defense and "getting [someone] off the hook." I never said that he wasn't entitled to representation.

2. Crazy female dog or no, there is never any excuse for the kinds of injuries inflicted on Rihanna. None whatsoever. It doesn't matter if anyone was there to witness it, I can tell you right now that there is no justification, and I can't believe that you would suggest that whether she's a crazy female dog has any relevance to the matter. Being an apologist for that kind of behavior is one of the things that perpetuates the problem. The only thing that would exonerate him would be if there was someone else there who beat her, and no one is suggesting that is the case.

3. You know, I'm a little sick of people pulling out the "innocent until proven guilty" bull. This is, of course, absolutely vital in the courts, but I don't need a jury to tell me that he's a miserable human being who did something that is, to me, unforgivable. I may not want our justice system to pass judgment on him, or anyone else, without legally sufficient evidence, but that doesn't mean that I can't exercise my own judgment.

Well behaved women rarely make history.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »
As a human being, I knew OJ and Robert Blake were both guilty. I also believe CB looks guilty. But as a "future attorney" we have to approach all cases without prejudice. And, these allegations are just that...the fact remains; we do not know what actually transpired. And the media never lies, right?

You see, most people don't know what it feels like to be lied on, and trust me, regardless of how dispicable Brown's behavior was, there are some lies being told, whether he's guilty overall or not...bet on it. I can guarantee you this, if you were ever accused of doing something you didn't do, you'd feel differently about judging people before facts can come out in the proper setting.

I don't care what Access Hollywood or any other media outlet says. WE WEREN'T THERE! And we do not know the facts. If you cannot hold dear the concept of "innocent until proven guilty", I suggest you find another line of work. I don't want prejudicial lawyers, judges or cops working in law. They are likely to try playing God at some point in their careers, and that is completely unacceptable. 

Go see Tyler Perry's movie Media Goes to Jail and you will understand what I am talking about. The prosecutor frames people because she has passed her own judgments on them and their worth as people. That's not the society we want to live in.

Chris Brown is innocent of all charges until found guilty in a court of law. There is probable cause, which explains the restraining order, but that is all. He's innocent. Be a little more open-minded and hold on to principle.

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2009, 06:58:19 PM »
LawDog, I totally get what you're saying.  The thing is though, Chris Brown never denied doing it.  He never said he's innocent.  In fact, he issued a public apology, basically stating that he did it and he's sorry.  I understand that you're just trying to be fair and follow the law.  That's great and all, but Chris Brown IS guilty.  He never denied being guilty, Rihanna never denied he did it, and the picture, above all, speaks for itself.

Anyway, I kinda feel bad for you, LawDog.  I'm sure you didn't expect to have all these women riled up after defending Chris Brown, hehehehe.  :P

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »
LawDog, I totally get what you're saying.  The thing is though, Chris Brown never denied doing it.  He never said he's innocent.  In fact, he issued a public apology, basically stating that he did it and he's sorry.  I understand that you're just trying to be fair and follow the law.  That's great and all, but Chris Brown IS guilty.  He never denied being guilty, Rihanna never denied he did it, and the picture, above all, speaks for itself.

Anyway, I kinda feel bad for you, LawDog.  I'm sure you didn't expect to have all these women riled up after defending Chris Brown, hehehehe.  :P

CB is not a lawyer. Most people do not know their rights. There are men who think a man is automatically wrong for hitting a woman even in self-defense. And there are women who, sadly, think they can hit a man without consequence. There are prople who just don't know what their rights are or are not. My guess is that he and Rihanna will get shrewd lessons in the near future.

There's a legal concept called "beaten beyond submission", in which a man is rightfully defending himself simply goes too far. That protects all parties in an altercation. Rihanna may have started the fight, however innocently, and both may be responsible for the "escalation". Then you have the possibility that, if Rihanna hit him first, she has committed an assault, herself, while CB could still be convicted for responding above what was necessary to get her to "retreat".

You have a right to defend yourself, but only to the point of retreat; anything beyond that crosses into assault. He was charged with first-degree assault, which probably will not stick. Rihanna is no angel.  This case is probably more complicated than it seems, because they have had fights before. So past behavior has to be taken into account, on both sides. Then there are the threats. There are allegations that CB made threats, but did Rihanna make some of her own?

And, he is, by all accounts, a child abuse victim, who probably suffers from post-traumatic stress from watching his mother get abused. That's what we call a "mitigating circumstance".

Think like a lawyer. Play a game with yourself. How would you defend Chris? He DOES deserve a defense. It's easy to be Rihanna's mother, father, brother, manager, lawyer, or fan right now. The hard thing to do right now is ask yourself questions that arise from looking at this from the other angles. And that's what will make you a good lawyer. 

I don't condone woman-beating at all, and I only used CB as a current, "subsidiary" example within a larger message. People should just understand that I was illustrating the many functions of an entertainment lawyer. That was the "Main Point" of the passage, so-to-speak.

As a "G", I would want to kick his ass. As a lawyer, I am fascinated by the case, and the opportunity to learn from it.

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2009, 07:42:46 PM »
Nope, I'm not thinking like a lawyer.  Maybe when I start law school in the fall, I'll start thinking like a lawyer.  For right now, though, I'm going to think like a person that has been involved with eradicating violence against women and girls for many years.  I've raised over $16,000 for domestic abuse and rape victim services within my city over the last couple of years, and I am thoroughly educated on domestic abuse.  Everything I've heard about the case has led me to believe that Mr. Brown is the picture perfect example of a "woman beater" and Rihanna sounds like the typical "victim" of domestic abuse.  When I hear people defending Chris, I can't help thinking that they know very little about the intricacies of the typical "domestic abuse" case, because the whole Rihanna/Chris Brown situation fits the mold perfectly.  No, I don't know the whole story, but I know enough to have an opinion on it, and I have a right to an opinion.  And because I really do believe in my heart that he's guilty, and because I'm not yet a lawyer, I refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt and play along with the whole, "aww, but we don't know the facts yet!"  Sorry, but in domestic abuse situations, we rarely learn all the facts.  Maybe if he denied doing it, maybe if he didn't issue a public apology saying that he was sorry for what he did, maybe if Rihanna issued a statement saying that Chris wasn't the man that hurt her, maybe then I would give him the benefit of the doubt. 

And I don't care that Rihanna "is no angel".  It still does not make beating the crap out of her okay, at least not in my book, and I won't ever defend a man that beats a woman that severely.

SweetAsCandy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2009, 07:50:47 PM »
But I do agree that Chris Brown needs professional help for the psychological damage that he incurred as a child growing up in household affected by domestic abuse.  I do believe that is one of the main reasons boys grow up and become woman beaters themselves...because they learned it in the home.  The same way many woman date abusive men, because their fathers were abusive to their mothers....

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2009, 07:54:40 PM »
Nope, I'm not thinking like a lawyer.  Maybe when I start law school in the fall, I'll start thinking like a lawyer.  For right now, though, I'm going to think like a person that has been involved with eradicating violence against women and girls for many years.  I've raised over $16,000 for domestic abuse and rape victim services within my city over the last couple of years, and I am thoroughly educated on domestic abuse.  Everything I've heard about the case has led me to believe that Mr. Brown is the picture perfect example of a "woman beater" and Rihanna sounds like the typical "victim" of domestic abuse.  When I hear people defending Chris, I can't help thinking that they know very little about the intricacies of the typical "domestic abuse" case, because the whole Rihanna/Chris Brown situation fits the mold perfectly.  No, I don't know the whole story, but I know enough to have an opinion on it, and I have a right to an opinion.  And because I really do believe in my heart that he's guilty, and because I'm not yet a lawyer, I refuse to give him the benefit of the doubt and play along with the whole, "aww, but we don't know the facts yet!"  Sorry, but in domestic abuse situations, we rarely learn all the facts.  Maybe if he denied doing it, maybe if he didn't issue a public apology saying that he was sorry for what he did, maybe if Rihanna issued a statement saying that Chris wasn't the man that hurt her, maybe then I would give him the benefit of the doubt. 

And I don't care that Rihanna "is no angel".  It still does not make beating the crap out of her okay, at least not in my book, and I won't ever defend a man that beats a woman that severely.

Again...you weren't there. And I already made the point regarding CB's confessions. Few people know their rights. I conceded that he probably beat her "beyond submission", i.e., the threshold of getting her to retreat, and that's if she had to retreat. She may/may not have started the thing. And she may/may not have hit him first. But you are starting a fight with me where there is none. Don't preach to me about domestic violence b/c I do not condone it. I am merely pointing out that you are talking about two people who live in a different world from the one you and I live in. You do not know them, you were not there when tthe incident happened. So give it a rest.

It's your perrogative not to think like a lawyer. Just remember one thing. Lawyers are born, not made. Anyone can get a license to practice law (if the conditions exist). But very few people are innately made for the game. You are demonstrating that your emotional and mental makeup is not properly suited for the game. you have to be obnjective. And practice doesn't make perfect, "perfect practice makes perfect". That means, you, as a law applicant, should "ACT AS IF"...you are a law student...right now.  

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2009, 07:55:36 PM »
BTW...go back to the OP's topic...it's a good one. you are being a flame...looking for an excuse to fight about something that is controversial. It has no point on this post.