Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What area of law do you want to pursue?  (Read 8993 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What area of law do you want to pursue?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:40 AM »
Entertainment/Sports Law baby...with a little Entertainment IP  mixed in.

win200

• "What do you mean, you people?"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009, 05:36:07 PM »

Exactly what I'm aiming for.  :)

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:33 PM »
I am interested in litigating 1983 claims.

That would be the major non-crim thing I'd want to do. Good times.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2009, 04:56:14 AM »

Exactly what I'm aiming for.  :)

It's rewarding, influential, respectable, flexible, and the job changes daily, so it's exciting. Plus, entertainment lawyers get P-A-I-D! They can make $2M a year or even more after about 10 years if they're really good.

I met an entertainment lawyer (young guy, guest speaker) when I was at Georgetown who wasn't even in the top-50% of his law class at Howard. He made $1.5M in 2004! No need to be partner at your firm or sports/talent agency, just be a hustler and build a good client base that will depend on you. Know your industries well and SAG, the NFL, the NBA, and all the rest will pay top-dollar for your consulting services or negotiating skills. Or if you want to go to Disney, well...have you heard about the salaries they pay? It's ridiculous.

How about doing in-house for MTV, VH-1, Time Warner or E! Entertainment. Cool!!

But you can also do a lot of good in the community. For one, many of the cases in entertainment can be precedents for IP law in general, and that can affect everything from inventions in the medical field, Sillicon Valley and the new innovations in energy, which is going to be the hot new thing. Also, if you're a good criminal lawyer to boot, you may have a Chris Brown you need to get off the hook. There's so much you can do. I'm going to love telling young people of color what I do for a living...immediate, undivided attention, and the ability to positively influence their attitudes about school, the law, and life overall.   

But it's difficult to become a star in entertainment law. It's so much more about WHO you know. That's why any entertainment lawyer should try to go BigLaw in NY or CA for a few years and make his connections.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009, 11:28:01 AM »
Sounds a lot like a kid who thinks he's going to be in the NBA when he grows up . . .

Also, this

But you can also do a lot of good in the community.

is kind of ridiculous.  Just own up to the fact that you're doing it because you think it's interesting and hot.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 11:33:22 AM »
Sounds a lot like a kid who thinks he's going to be in the NBA when he grows up . . .

Also, this

is kind of ridiculous.  Just own up to the fact that you're doing it because you think it's interesting and hot.

Particularly after throwing in getting a Chris Brown off the hook? @#!*.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 11:45:39 AM »

For serious.  I want to do what I want to do because the system is really unfair to poor people, especially poor people of color.  I certainly don't do it because I think people who beat their girlfriends into a pulp should go unpunished.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »

For serious.  I want to do what I want to do because the system is really unfair to poor people, especially poor people of color.  I certainly don't do it because I think people who beat their girlfriends into a pulp should go unpunished.

But he's famous!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 03:04:10 AM »

Also, this

No...it's interesting and hot...AND, like with any other lawyer, you can do good in the community. I am serious, not being disingenuous, here. I want the whole ball of wax in my career, and I think everyone should (by their own standards). My resume demonstrates my commitment to community, esp. inner-city kids. I managed a non-profit for eight years, three of those years while attending college. So, it's no joke.

I think having a cool career will make kids listen to me even more. They will realize that there are cool jobs behind the scenes that they can have if they work hard. They usually want to be rappers or singers or models b/c they want the glamor and the money. We would like to see more kids use their brains. Thus, my belief is that we have to find ways to help them combine the two. An entertainment lawyer has a comparatively glamorous career, but he's still a real lawyer who has to work his tail off. And he represents the Beyonce's or negotiates Spielberg's next contract. He can be influential.

BTW (re: Chris Brown), few entertainment lawyers practice criminal law but it's a necessary evil.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009, 03:12:13 AM »

But he's famous!

Everybody deserves a defense. On the surface, I don't agree with his extreme actions/behavior, but we weren't there. By some accounts, she's a psycho bytch! And as future attorneys, we should be the last people pre-judging anyone's guilt or innocence (slap-dat-hand!) Innocent until proven guilty?