Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Back to law school?  (Read 1209 times)

backtolaw2010

• View Profile
Back to law school?
« on: February 25, 2009, 06:45:11 PM »
Hey all so here is my dilemma,

I went to T2 Part Time in the Fall 07, I had a bad first semester (due to personal problems) with an overall GPA of 2.1, I was put on probation. I didnt like my chances of finding employment so I withdrew. Now I want to retake the LSAT, the first time around I got a 155, and reapply to schools. What are your thoughts and opinions on this? Do you expect any hurdles for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Back to law school?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
I think it may be difficult to explain to schools that you will do better this time around. Did you completely withdraw from your previous school or did you take a leave of absence? They may be your best bet back in. I would find it hard to see another school overlooking poor performance your first year without some compelling reason. You say you had personal problems, I think you will need to explain this to an admissions committee and hope they find it compelling enough to give you a second try.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 12:51:02 AM »
How will retaking the LSAT (regardless of whether yuo score higher or lower) demonstrate that you are capable of handling the work? LSAT's are used as a rough indicator of the student's capability to learn the material... but what you have, actual law school grades, is FAR more indicative of your ability. What you need to do is to show why things will be different a second time around. A 2.1, while lousy, isn't failing, so perhaps you can get back into the school you left and pull up your grades. If you follow up that lousy semester with a semester of really good grades, perhaps you can use that in transferring to another similarly-ranked school and set off on a fresh start there... I don't think that most schools transfer over actual grades when they accept transfer credits/classes, so you'll have a blank slate, GPA-wise.
Good Luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:29:04 AM »
How will retaking the LSAT (regardless of whether yuo score higher or lower) demonstrate that you are capable of handling the work? LSAT's are used as a rough indicator of the student's capability to learn the material... but what you have, actual law school grades, is FAR more indicative of your ability. What you need to do is to show why things will be different a second time around. A 2.1, while lousy, isn't failing, so perhaps you can get back into the school you left and pull up your grades. If you follow up that lousy semester with a semester of really good grades, perhaps you can use that in transferring to another similarly-ranked school and set off on a fresh start there... I don't think that most schools transfer over actual grades when they accept transfer credits/classes, so you'll have a blank slate, GPA-wise.
Good Luck,
Rob

Agreed, particularly the bolded - although I don't know about your odds of transferring even to a similarly ranked school unless you have a stellar semester.

One other thought - if your law school experience had been 5 or more years ago, then perhaps taking the LSAT would work; credits only are "good" for so long.  But with only about a year in between, the LSAT isn't going to help all that much.

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:41:03 AM »
First, a 155 isn't a great score or anything so I don't see how you think it would help.  Second, to my knowledge, they won't even look at an LSAT score from after you've already enrolled in law school.  In fact, I don't think you are even supposed to be allowed to take the exam once you've started law school.

You went, you blew it, you're stuck with it.  I'm tired of hearing "personal problems" as people's reasons for screwing up in school.  We all have personal problems.  Especially over the 3 year marathon that is law school. 

What separates those that succeed from those that fail is rising above the problems and still getting the job done.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 10:37:29 AM »
Call up the admissions offices of a few of schools you are interested in and ask them. That will give you a better picture than this message board of what sort of approach you should take.

Susan Kingsfield

• Terrorists could be anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 10:57:56 AM »
We all have personal problems.  Especially over the 3 year marathon that is law school. 

What separates those that succeed from those that fail is rising above the problems and still getting the job done.

A tad harsh, but this seems really true to me.

I've seen my various classmates get laid off, get divorced, have serious medical problems and mourn the loss of loved ones.

And they've all picked up the pieces and carried on.

It's tough and it sucks, but that's real life.

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
So you are saying one bad semester means this guy will never be able to put it together?  That people shouldn't get second chances? 

I had multiple F's in undergrad and I've done exceptionally well in law school.  I'm glad I didn't listen to someone like you--that somehow my inability to deal with my problems back then meant I can never deal with future problems.  Please. 

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »
So you are saying one bad semester means this guy will never be able to put it together?  That people shouldn't get second chances? 

I had multiple F's in undergrad and I've done exceptionally well in law school.  I'm glad I didn't listen to someone like you--that somehow my inability to deal with my problems back then meant I can never deal with future problems.  Please. 

Not saying he can't pull it together.  Just saying that law school life is unfair.  Unlike undergrad, law school isn't as forgiving.  1st year is all that really matters when it comes to getting a good job and there aren't replacement grades for retries. 

Just out of curiosity though, where do you go M and what do you consider exceptionally well?

M_Cool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 01:54:40 PM »
I'm sure anyone that has gone to law school realizes the job implications of doing very poorly your first semester.  Your post seemed to be addressing the larger question of failure in general, and I was responding to that. 

And what does it matter where I go to school or what I think very successful constitutes?  I'm not going to be on the supreme court clerk or a professor at a prestigious university if that is what you define as being "very successful."  I do have a big law SA position and have had good grades.