Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to wear for a visit  (Read 11011 times)

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What to wear for a visit
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 02:13:36 AM »
Dressing nicely can hurt. If you over dress, you can turn people off by making them think you are a dork.

Remember, you aren't meeting potential future employers at these things, you're meeting future peers. You know, the people you have to live with for the next three years.

Uh...what kind of "nicely" are you talking about? I didn't tell her to wear a low-cut dress or an evening gown. I actually ran into the one person who thinks putting in a little effort to make a nice first impression can hurt you. Let me guess, you wore ripped jeans to your Northwestern interview...if you had one.

The OP is entering a profession. This is the first time she is going to Seattle U, which is right down the street from where I live. I know that school like the back of my hand. The students there actually do dress quite nicely as many work office jobs on the side. Seattle isn't berkinstocks and flannel like it was in 1990. People here like to dress.

Dress nicely or don't, but it cannot hurt you to look nice.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 02:18:27 AM »
No, I was talking about a skirt suit or other formal business wear. Obviously, dad's holey tank-top and flip-flops aint cutting it, but I think for anyone worried about it, it's probably better to underdress a bit rather than over.

Wutev...

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 06:13:49 AM »
I'm wearing jeans to mine.  I think it's easier for women in this situation.  They tend to not look overly dressed up if they dress business casual.  With guys on the other hand, you either look too dandy or you look like you're going out.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:46:46 AM »
For my visit in two weeks, I plan on wearing this:

I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »
You sure that will be warm enough? 

emilyadi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »
Dressing nicely can hurt. If you over dress, you can turn people off by making them think you are a dork.

Remember, you aren't meeting potential future employers at these things, you're meeting future peers. You know, the people you have to live with for the next three years.

Uh...what kind of "nicely" are you talking about? I didn't tell her to wear a low-cut dress or an evening gown. Flaming today? How stupid. I actually ran into the one "dork" who thinks putting in a little effort to make a nice impression can hurt you. You probably wore ripped jeans to your Northwestern interview...if you had one. Flame to the 1000th degree.

You are entering a profession. This is the first time you are going to Seattle U, which is right down the street from where I live!!! I know that school like the back of my hand. The students there actually do dress quite nicely as many work office jobs on the side. Seattle isn't berkinstocks and flannel like 1990.

DRESS NICELY...or don't. But it CANNOT HURT YOU!

Actually, it's right down the street from where my boyfriend lives too! I just got a piroshki on Madison. Mmmm, that's the real reason I want to go here. Piroshkis. Yum!

I think I'll wear the skirt...and a warm jacket. It snowed!!!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 02:59:56 PM »

Uh...what kind of "nicely" are you talking about? I didn't tell her to wear a low-cut dress or an evening gown. Flaming today? How stupid. I actually ran into the one "dork" who thinks putting in a little effort to make a nice impression can hurt you. You probably wore ripped jeans to your Northwestern interview...if you had one. Flame to the 1000th degree.

You are entering a profession. This is the first time you are going to Seattle U, which is right down the street from where I live!!! I know that school like the back of my hand. The students there actually do dress quite nicely as many work office jobs on the side. Seattle isn't berkinstocks and flannel like 1990.

DRESS NICELY...or don't. But it CANNOT HURT YOU!

Actually, it's right down the street from where my boyfriend lives too! I just got a piroshki on Madison. Mmmm, that's the real reason I want to go here. Piroshkis. Yum!

I think I'll wear the skirt...and a warm jacket. It snowed!!!

Yes! That's the ticket. Look "nice-casual". Put on a skirt, some leggings and a pair of boots with a nice top. Does your boyfriend go to SeaLaw? If he does, is that the reason you are consider going there? No judgements, just curious. Most of the ppl i know in that situation handled it just fine.

futurelawyergal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 06:00:32 PM »
I went on a tour today. Business casual is definitely the way to go. The kid in the full suit looked like they were trying too hard. The kid in sloppy jeans and a tee...looked sloppy. I'm glad I read this post for reassurance.

Speedzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Illinois College of Law - 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 06:10:31 PM »
I went on a tour today. Business casual is definitely the way to go. The kid in the full suit looked like they were trying too hard. The kid in sloppy jeans and a tee...looked sloppy. I'm glad I read this post for reassurance.

This is how the students see it.  I second this post.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 06:27:22 PM »
What if you're not wearing sloppy jeans, but nice ones and a nice sweater?