Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Too late to apply to more firms?  (Read 2096 times)

l_shark

• View Profile
Too late to apply to more firms?
« on: February 24, 2009, 06:52:17 PM »
I applied to ~ 30 firms back in December/January and have had a couple of interviews with firms and agencies over the last few weeks. I have no idea what what to expect as far as offers. I want to apply to some different markets, but I'm not sure whether I would be wasting my time at this point.

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Too late to apply to more firms?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
It's not too late to apply to small/medium firms.  Many won't even know if they'll be able to hire a summer intern until now.
Fed gov't atty

l_shark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 07:37:46 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I'm assuming that large, primary market firms are pretty much dried up for 1Ls. But what about the larger firms in secondary markets?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:31:17 PM »
Thanks for the response.

I'm assuming that large, primary market firms are pretty much dried up for 1Ls. But what about the larger firms in secondary markets?

I think your time would be better spent looking for small and midsized firms and/or smaller nonprofits (and be willing to volunteer your time at any of them)

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:09:19 PM »
If you're talking about the regional branches of large firms, aren't they on the same recruiting schedule?
Fed gov't atty

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 07:23:06 AM »
If you're talking about the regional branches of large firms, aren't they on the same recruiting schedule?

Yes.  And I'd think even the larger firms that only exist in the secondary market would still be on the same recruiting schedule, since they're likely to do OCI at the nearby law schools.  For example, we have OCI during August, which is primarily large national firms and exclusive boutique firms.  We have a second OCI week in September, which is primarily filled with larger and midsized local firms.

l_shark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 05:44:27 PM »
Thanks. I'm a 1L, so we don't have spring OCI. I guess I am just nervous as to what the heck I'm going to do if all of my interviews fall through. Guess I just have to wait and see.

DirkDiggler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 09:14:03 PM »
I have a question that likely doesn't merit its own thread and is somewhat related to this thread:

I'm a 1L. I have a summer government job secured. I want to stay in my law school's geographic area. Recently, a professor, who used to practice in the area, said she knows a firm (small to medium) that would be a great fit for my interests, their needs, personalities, etc. This prospect interests me. My question: should I contact this firm before next fall to let them know I'm interested for a 2L gig? If so, when?