Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: any suprise acceptances?  (Read 6367 times)

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: any suprise acceptances?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/fratguy473

SLU is in the lead... but a waitlist coming through or scholarship could change it easily.

geegorie

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - geegorie
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - geegorie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:12:36 PM »
Let's see....accepted at Lewis & Clark when I had only a 25% chance of getting in. My GPA was a little above their 50 percentile and my LSAT was two points below their 25 percentile. I was also wait listed at Nebraska at the end of January only to be accepted two weeks later. Hope this give hope to all those waiting for replies out there. Stay positive!!! Good luck to everyone 
Accepted:DU,L&C,MSU$,Idaho$,Nebraska, Gonzaga$$
Rejected:GMU, Missouri-Columbia, Minnesota, Colorado, Washington, GSU, Baylor:(
Wait listed:Oklahoma,Iowa,Richmond, UofU, Penn State:S

ntiger

• KC Newbie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 07:56:51 PM »
I like this story about you getting waitlisted at Nebraska and then getting accepted two weeks later!

devildog_jim

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:22 PM »
In full time day at GW when I gave them the option of admitting me to the part time program.  True splitter, GPA under 25th LSAT above 75th, nontrad, military and law enforcement experience.  I really expected them to make me come part time to protect their USnews numbers...

sapphireowl

• Some are content at the bottom, i prefer the top.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:26 PM »
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/fratguy473

SLU is in the lead... but a waitlist coming through or scholarship could change it easily.

Go with SLU..i'm going there in the fall and would like to meet some people who will be attending also. The school is strong in the city and has great connections in the Saint Louis legal community. Plus we could tag- team up and dominate.lol...Just my opinion anyway..

vila23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:15:55 PM »
so far my biggest surprises have been acceptances to Cornell, UVA, and GWU with a 158/3.9....thought they would overlook me!

jpiesel44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 12:02:50 AM »
Georgetown-PT, 3.3/164

I am beside myself.

Edit: I'm not an URM.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 03:54:10 AM »
Georgetown-PT, 3.3/164

I am beside myself.

Congrats, but I would caution you...don't be so shocked about this. Your numbers are actually very solid; 84% +/- LSAT is nothing to sneeze at. And your score band puts you in the 161-167 range. That's what schools are supposed to be looking at. If you took the test more than once, improving your score, or gave schools another reason to be really optomistic about your potential, a school might see you as a 167.

And what was your major, and from what school? Did your grades trend upward? Your softs obviously made a difference, or your essays were off the hook. It happens more often than white applicants think. I keep telling them, but they don't believe me. If schools are doing what they claim to be doing, they are admitting white students with lower numbers every year. But when i advise posters to go ahead and apply to top schools, other white posters jump all over me, saying I don't know what I am talking about. I know exactly what I am talking about. I would have told you not to be shocked if you got in. 

jpiesel44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 05:04:45 AM »
Georgetown-PT, 3.3/164

I am beside myself.

Congrats, but I would caution you...don't be so shocked about this. Your numbers are actually very solid; 84% +/- LSAT is nothing to sneeze at. And your score band puts you in the 161-167 range. That's what schools are supposed to be looking at. If you took the test more than once, improving your score, or gave schools another reason to be really optomistic about your potential, a school might see you as a 167.

And what was your major, and from what school? Did your grades trend upward? Your softs obviously made a difference, or your essays were off the hook. It happens more often than white applicants think. I keep telling them, but they don't believe me. If schools are doing what they claim to be doing, they are admitting white students with lower numbers every year. But when i advise posters to go ahead and apply to top schools, other white posters jump all over me, saying I don't know what I am talking about. I know exactly what I am talking about. I would have told you not to be shocked if you got in. 

Well, thanks for the words.  I actually did take the test twice, with 164 being an improvement on my first score.  I don't really want to discuss my specific school/soft factors on the public message board, but I went to a school that is nationally notorious for no grade inflation.  I also have some pretty unique softs.  If you PM me, I'll let you know the specifics.  Hopefully this pans out for some of the other top 14s I've applied to!

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 05:05:32 AM »
Yeah. I am not shocked at all. If your GPA were .3 higher, you might have gotten into the FT program, if I am right about your softs, school and major. They were obviously good.