Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sports Law Programs  (Read 7188 times)

Tar Heel 1

• View Profile
Sports Law Programs
« on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster.  I recently became aware of the jd/ma in sports management.  I am intrigued by the possibility of combining my passion for sports with a law degree and am curious as to what LSD members have heard about the two programs.  Thanks in advance.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Sports Law Programs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 12:34:10 PM »
The programs may well be excellent, but the chance of actually getting a job in sports law is minuscule.

Sports/Entertainment/International Human Rights law are the law school equivalents of saying you want to be a princess or an astronaut when you grow up.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »
The programs may well be excellent, but the chance of actually getting a job in sports law is minuscule.

Sports/Entertainment/International Human Rights law are the law school equivalents of saying you want to be a princess or an astronaut when you grow up.

TITCR.  There are no jobs in this field to speak of.
Mercer University School of Law '12

han solo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »

My uncle is an IP lawyer but he just happened to join a firm that merged a lot of IP and Entertainment Law, so it is more possible than people think.  He went to a T2 school.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
Entertainment law is much more viable than the other two, admittedly..But the jobs are still scarce.
Mercer University School of Law '12

kennedyposter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 02:24:24 PM »
Entertainment law is much more viable than the other two, admittedly..But the jobs are still scarce.

International human rights law is like that??
That's interesting. I would have thought jobs in human rights law wouldn't be that scarce because there isn't as much $$ in it as in the other two or corporate law. I mean I know it's popular to SAY you want to do something like that. THis surprises me!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 03:23:05 PM »
I would have thought jobs in human rights law wouldn't be that scarce because there isn't as much $$ in it as in the other two or corporate law.

That is precisely why there are not jobs. If you are independently wealthy and want to start taking on pro bono human rights cases nobody will stop you- and I'm sure there are people out there that need representation in such matters. Alternatively you could always devote your life to filing amicus briefs in human rights cases.

But if you want a job doing international human rights work, the money for your salary has to come from somewhere.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 04:40:18 PM »
This are just examples from my school, but a 2007 grad is doing human rights war crimes trials in Cambodia right now, and a classmate who is graduating with me worked for the Denver Broncos all through part-time law school and is going into sports law.

The thing is, it can be done, even from a lowly T2, it just takes making contacts outside of law school to get it, and most law students are too lazy to do the foot work if it means more than mass mailing a resume.   Hence “it never happens” attitude actually means "sports agents did not do OCI at my school therefore it’s impossible to get such a job." Rare, hell yes, but not impossible, it just the students who get these jobs are the very rare ones who make it happen for themselves.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
if you want to work in sports law, your network will help you a thousand times more than a sports law "program."

TITCR.

Go to a school with a bad ass xBall team and make some friends. Side bonus; you have much better access to rocking parties.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 12:55:51 AM »

But no more scarce than they usually are. The Entertainment Law field tends to be pretty consistent. That area is always about networks. It's best (but not necessary) to go BigLaw first...do some corporate transactional work.