Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is important to you, cash or a social life?  (Read 1114 times)

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
What is important to you, cash or a social life?
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »
Haldo,
   As I was posting in some threads, I started thinking about the fact that many people on here are very intent on working in a bigger law firm, while many of us are planning on being perfectly content accepting a lower salary for better hours.  I wanted to start this thread to ask: Which is more important, a social life or a huge salary?  Why?

For me, I've decided to go with lower hours because I feel that, even if I am pulling huge salaries from the biglaw firms, I'll never have any opportunities to enjoy the money that I am earning.  If I spend all of my time at the office, sure, I may have 10 plasma TVs at home, but they would be sitting unused. 

Your thoughts?
Mercer University School of Law '12

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is important to you, cash or a social life?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 11:06:53 AM »
I am all about making the most money I can in a job that is fulfilling.  Work is a huge part of life to me, so I don't think it's necessarily bad to devote a lot of your time/energy to your job.  Of course, you have to enjoy your job or feel that you are doing something worthwhile. 

It's important that I make time for friends and family, but it doesn't have to be TONS of time...just quality time.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
I'm pretty much where you are on this, Neto.  I'd be happy with living comfortably and having time with friends and family.  I don't think I'd ever work in biglaw.  It's just not something that appeals to me. 

Billy Mays here FOREVER!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:53 PM »
high priced hookers and awesome cleaning products

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 02:47:54 PM »
For me, it's not that money is more important than a social life or family, but that biglaw offers a lot of exit opportunities.  I do plan to have a family someday and working in a big firm isn't conducive to that goal.  I want to put in a couple of years to pay my loans and make connections, then transition into another opportunity (pref. in house) that might not be open had I not been at a big firm.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »
For me, it's not that money is more important than a social life or family, but that biglaw offers a lot of exit opportunities.  I do plan to have a family someday and working in a big firm isn't conducive to that goal.  I want to put in a couple of years to pay my loans and make connections, then transition into another opportunity (pref. in house) that might not be open had I not been at a big firm.

MA, read the PLS chapter which describes law academics.  Talk about a really, really sweet gig, with lots of family time.  I'm up for that.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 03:11:11 PM »
This may sound odd to some of you because I'm female, but whatever.

I am in a position where I am going to be in charge of supporting my family. My husband plans to stay at home with our future kids while I work. Because of this, money is very important to me. I would need to be able to support my family comfortably.

That said, I would hope that I could find a job that made enough money to accomplish this, but still allowed me a little time with my family. I don't care about having time to go out or anything. I just want to have the option to be there for my kids' birthdays and such.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 03:16:20 PM »
This may sound odd to some of you because I'm female, but whatever.

I am in a position where I am going to be in charge of supporting my family. My husband plans to stay at home with our future kids while I work. Because of this, money is very important to me. I would need to be able to support my family comfortably.

That said, I would hope that I could find a job that made enough money to accomplish this, but still allowed me a little time with my family. I don't care about having time to go out or anything. I just want to have the option to be there for my kids' birthdays and such.

I'm sure you'll be able to be around for more than your kids' birthdays.  I want to make moola too, but I'm not sure about the kids part.   
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

js11287

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
My plan has always been to work at a big firm after graduating for awhile, so that I can pay off my loans, save some money, etc. Since 80 hour weeks really aren't conducive to starting a family, I suspect that my time in biglaw will come to its natural conclusion; by that time, I will be financially comfortable and have the work experience that I need to get a job that is more ideal for the long haul.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 06:27:10 PM »
many of us are planning on being perfectly content accepting a lower salary for better hours. 

what job is this exactly?

Most government jobs or small firm jobs. 
Mercer University School of Law '12