Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Career advice needed. T20 slightly above 3.0 LS GPA  (Read 789 times)

hkaspen

• View Profile
Career advice needed. T20 slightly above 3.0 LS GPA
« on: February 24, 2009, 10:23:30 AM »
Hi all. T20 graduate here with slightly over 3.0 GPA (bottom half for sure). I'm having little to no luck in finding a job, so I'm considering taking advantage of my time by pursuing another degree/certification. But, I obviously won't do it if I was confident that I can find a decent job w/o one. So... I guess my question is two-part:

1) What are my chances at finding an associate position at a decent small to mid-sized(~50+ attorney) firm in NY? (admitted in NY&NJ. Interested in civil & commercial lit)

2) Would it be a good idea to pursue a CPA? I would have to get a M.S in Taxation first (1.5 years), then take the exam (~1 year for all 4 parts). (I DON'T want to shell out another $40k for a Tax LLM so that option's out).

To be honest, my main objective is to make a good living. Area of practice is not as important as I find them all interesting (well I find tax bearable). Thanks

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Career advice needed. T20 slightly above 3.0 LS GPA
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:26:56 AM »
Personally, I would probably try to look at firms outside of NJ/NYC if you're having trouble finding a job.  While the salaries may not be as high, your chances of finding a job are much greater.  I wouldn't go for another degree, because you're just adding up extra debt without really gaining any significant extra qualifications.
Mercer University School of Law '12

hkaspen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
I guess i can, but I'd much rather not take another bar exam. I can waive into DC, but that's a last resort since I have family/friends here in NY.

TTom

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:15:03 AM »
Hi all. T20 graduate here with slightly over 3.0 GPA (bottom half for sure). I'm having little to no luck in finding a job, so I'm considering taking advantage of my time by pursuing another degree/certification. But, I obviously won't do it if I was confident that I can find a decent job w/o one. So... I guess my question is two-part:

1) What are my chances at finding an associate position at a decent small to mid-sized(~50+ attorney) firm in NY? (admitted in NY&NJ. Interested in civil & commercial lit)

2) Would it be a good idea to pursue a CPA? I would have to get a M.S in Taxation first (1.5 years), then take the exam (~1 year for all 4 parts). (I DON'T want to shell out another $40k for a Tax LLM so that option's out).

To be honest, my main objective is to make a good living. Area of practice is not as important as I find them all interesting (well I find tax bearable). Thanks

I don't think these are questions that many people on LSD are qualified to opine on. I'd talk to alumni from your school and ask them for career advice. Not just a few people, but as many people as you can. Most likely, by doing this, you'll inadvertently be networking and a job offer will eventually come your way.

I know this isn't an easy thing to do -that it's much easier to ask for advice anonymously through message boards- but it's what's in your best interest.

Be brave and good luck!

fertsru

• ICQ Messenger - 483674619
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 11:52:57 AM »
What did you do during summers and school breaks? Probably worked/worked as an intern/volunteered? Try calling up your old employers for informational, get-together-over-lunch interviews. If they liked you back then, they might think of a friend in a different firm that is looking for a temp for now. A lot of good jobs come out from an accidental temp/fill-in opportunities. They might not call you back right away but at least you are networking, getting to know people. That's my advice, don't disregard a small gig, it usually leads to something bigger and better if you do a good job on it.

Per aspera ad astra.

hkaspen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 01:27:06 PM »
Personally, I would probably try to look at firms outside of NJ/NYC if you're having trouble finding a job.  While the salaries may not be as high, your chances of finding a job are much greater.  I wouldn't go for another degree, because you're just adding up extra debt without really gaining any significant extra qualifications.

If I were to take the CA bar and get admitted, how much do you think that would help my chances? I'm sure it'll open up a huge # of potential jobs, but do the think the markets are similar enough in competition/saturation that it won't be worth the time/effort? In other words, if i'm not employable here, would I be equally unemployable in CA?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 02:49:07 PM »

If I were to take the CA bar and get admitted, how much do you think that would help my chances? I'm sure it'll open up a huge # of potential jobs, but do the think the markets are similar enough in competition/saturation that it won't be worth the time/effort? In other words, if i'm not employable here, would I be equally unemployable in CA?

You know it would take much less time, effort, and money to just start networking in the legal community around your school now and get to know lawyers and judges so that by the time your graduate you have a good network of folks who like you and know you personally to help you find a job or recommend you for a job they know about where your grades wonít be that much of an issue. Get this book, read it, put the skills you learn into practice http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics-Getting-Dreams-Employment/dp/0314176772/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1235677560&sr=8-1 Stop worry about things you canít control like if some unknown employer in some other state might give you a job if you got a CPA degree, and start now controlling the things you can, that will get you a job.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.