Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!  (Read 62245 times)

yakkityyak

• View Profile
Re: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!
« Reply #820 on: May 05, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »
I would think much better; why would you want to be locked into a waitlist...  and, what waitlist would you even be on at this point? The "early action waitlist?" It seems like they just defer those whom they're not quite sure on yet to the RD pool and let the second semester sort them out...

furthermore, the fact (? dunno, saw it here last week, so perhaps "rumor") that someone here called and the admissions office said they would be sending out more admissions next week (being this current week) and that to act otherwise would be completely historically inconsistent with everything else they've ever done leads me to believe that we are probably getting good news in the mail.

Monkeys99

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: May 05, 2009, 05:47:43 PM »
Hey man, I'm crossing my fingers for ya.  Cuz if YOU don't get in with your stats, then I don't even have a shot at being deferred.   ;D

yakkityyak

• View Profile
« Reply #822 on: May 05, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
furthermore, the concept of an "EA waitlist" seems counter-intuitive- GULC must imagine that since deposits are required a (edit: WELL more than a month) month in advance of any similar school, virtually everyone they admit off EA will send in a deposit. Are you thinking of an EA waitlist that "wait-and-sees" on how many EA admits return deposits and then makes EA offers accordingly? seems like a lot of extra work.

Monkeys99

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: May 05, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »
Hey don't shoot the messenger.  I'm not debating the logic of waitlist, I'm just telling you THERE IS A WAITLIST.  I also don't know whether it is an EA waitlist or just regular waitlist. 

But there is definitely a waitlist and they are definitely waitlisting EA applicants.

THIS IS A FACT, not a guess. 

I personally know at least 2 people who have been put on a waitlist this session.  They were put on the waitlist in the first round of acceptances.  I know one was top 5% at a T2.  The other doesn't share her stats with anyone, so no clue.

yakkityyak

• View Profile
« Reply #824 on: May 05, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
well, here's hoping the mail is good.

Monkeys99

• View Profile
« Reply #825 on: May 05, 2009, 06:00:23 PM »
Not saying you'll be on the waitlist either, just putting it out there that it is an option.  Not always acceptance, rejection, or deferral~~  

I'm thinking it would be nice if they made it a waitlist that offered up spots to other ea waitlist applicants based on the number of ea applicants that withdraw as other decisions come in rather than off a general waitlist.

Mostly because it seems like many people use gulc ea as a test to see if they could get into other, more highly ranked, t14 schools and it seems as if more ea people would "drop" gulc for another school than regular decision people?  I don't know.  It's a personal theory... I guess more in the line of a priority waitlist with dibs on ea spots?  Doesn't gulc keep a certain number of spots open specifically for ea?

mgorenst

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: May 05, 2009, 06:05:06 PM »
Does anyone know if decision means u got in, or does it mean you could have been rejected (anyone heard of people getting an actual rejection?). Mine went decision today, im cramming for my last final, mail system here sucks and I'm moving so I prob wont get the letter due to forwarding for like 3 weeks...

Dongo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: May 05, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
We're not really sure what it means.  Don't think anyone has been outright rejected yet (so it could be us).  The admission office said they were sending out more acceptances (so it could be us).  They've had waitlists in the pasts (so it could be us).  Anyone near DC, expect a letter tomorrow probably.

Monkeys99

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: May 05, 2009, 06:08:42 PM »
You could also try logging into the admitted students' site in 4 days.  If it works, you probably got in...

Still, rooting for you guys   ;D 

yakkityyak

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: May 05, 2009, 06:09:44 PM »
But why would they want to have a certain number of EA admits? I can imagine GULC having a cap, but I can't perceive the need for a required minimum... they would just make up the rest of their class in RD, when a waitlist would have some actual utility in making sure they fill seats. Hoping to get the news tomorrow.