Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!  (Read 62101 times)

gulcea09

• View Profile
Re: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!
« Reply #370 on: April 18, 2009, 04:17:02 PM »
that is really interesting - I was not familiar with this situation

However, it must be distinguished between modifying a URL to get information and simply entering a name and password into fields on a page designed for that exact purpose.  If people are reporting that they have access to the admitted student site, especially in an admission cycle that is far from previous norms, it is reasonable to assume that others are going to try to see if they have access as well.  This is MUCH different than modifying a URL and going beyond a standard page setup to find out about an admission decision. 

I agree, it is unethical for people to modify a URL to go into the admission system, but people should be allowed to enter their username and password to determine if they have been granted access to a site that is set up for that purpose - there is nothing wrong with doing that. 

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 18, 2009, 04:45:20 PM »
Whether or not Harvard declined admissions to people is completely irrelevant to the fact that you are a gigantic *explicative... use your imagination* to tell people to "anonymously suggest that GULC" do the same.

DIAF.

IVY1972

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
I'm sure some folks have already heeded PublicinterestNYC's suggestion and are pleading their case with GULC admission. That's pathatic! I'm one of the people that was not able to login; still, am not gone rat out on people who were able sign in... If GULC admission, God forbid, imitates the action taken by Harvard Business, then all of us in this group will be denied admission because we "attempted", some successfully some not, to login in the the admited site. So, either way, don't be such a low-life if you have plans to contract GULC suggesting they take a similar action as Harvard did.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 18, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
Heck, I'm not exactly concerned. When I sent them the initial e-mail, they asked me if I knew of any particular names that were able to log in. I told them that aside from myself, I didn't know of anyone, and that it was just information floating out there on the internet. I was not anonymous- I used the e-mail that I used for my application, included my name, etc. They thanked me for the e-mail, said that they appreciated having it brought to their attention so that they could stem whatever damage was being done to peoples' psyches, and that was that.

If GULC wants to deny me admission because I plugged my username and password in to a webpage, that is certainly within its right to do. Something tells me that they will not do that, though. Furthermore, I am fairly certain that if any "snitching" was to have an affect, it would be "snitching" on PublicInterestLawNYC to the Chicago admissions folks; I can't imagine any school would want such a person. That said, I am NOT condoning that people try to "snitch" on PIL, because that would be childish and immature.

I got out of teaching to avoid this "teacher teacher, they're picking on me!" idiocy in the first place.

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
This is hilarious.

First of all, we typed in our login info that the school gave us into a field that told us to use that login info.  Furthermore that field is on a site that is fully part of the public domain.  I have no clue how that could be seen as unethical or worthy of any sort of reprimand.  If anything it would show them that the student is super eager and excited about GULC.

Second of all, how juvenile and petty do you think you would look if you called GULC and pled for them to deny students based on this?  It wouldn't help that you would be essentially telling them how to do their job.

And FYI publicinterest guy/gal, I don't think its the suggestion so much as the arrogance that is getting people all up in a tizzy.  You have to expect to be labeled a feminine hygiene product when you make comments which basically imply that you think you are above GULC and are a lock for Chicago... especially on a law school transfer message board.  Maybe someone here should call up Easterbrook or Posner and tell them that one of their prospective students failed to look at the big picture by considering next-best alternatives and understanding the value of being risk-averse.

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #375 on: April 18, 2009, 05:22:43 PM »
How much more time and how many more posts can you people waste on a flame?  Are you new to the Internet? 

widennumber2

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 18, 2009, 05:26:01 PM »
Good point.  although it only took like a minute. haha.  back to contracts   :-X

IVY1972

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #377 on: April 18, 2009, 05:32:53 PM »
Heck, I'm not exactly concerned. When I sent them the initial e-mail, they asked me if I knew of any particular names that were able to log in. I told them that aside from myself, I didn't know of anyone, and that it was just information floating out there on the internet. I was not anonymous- I used the e-mail that I used for my application, included my name, etc. They thanked me for the e-mail, said that they appreciated having it brought to their attention so that they could stem whatever damage was being done to peoples' psyches, and that was that.

If GULC wants to deny me admission because I plugged my username and password in to a webpage, that is certainly within its right to do. Something tells me that they will not do that, though. Furthermore, I am fairly certain that if any "snitching" was to have an affect, it would be "snitching" on PublicInterestLawNYC to the Chicago admissions folks; I can't imagine any school would want such a person. That said, I am NOT condoning that people try to "snitch" on PIL, because that would be childish and immature.

Why would GULC admission ask you if you know any names (who tried or logged in) if they did not want to take some type of action???
I got out of teaching to avoid this "teacher teacher, they're picking on me!" idiocy in the first place.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 18, 2009, 05:39:52 PM »
Rationale answer is that knowing the names of people who were able to log in would allow them to focus the technical inquiry. Tin-foil-hat answer is that they are now going to deny all of us admissions, I suppose. Who knows.

lawtransfer22

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #379 on: April 18, 2009, 09:28:03 PM »
No one was going to get in any ways. Transfer admission to the T14 is just an urban legend and a cruel practical joke.