Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!  (Read 62251 times)

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!
« Reply #350 on: April 17, 2009, 09:44:12 PM »
I think it was beaver who made the point that it's odd that, as a result of this "technical error," only some of us were given access.  The even stranger thing is that those people seem to be auto-admits according to their stats.  If someone in top 15% from a Tier 4 steps forward and says they had access, "glitch" will be more believable.  Otherwise, this glitch just happened to give access to highly competitive (most competitive?) applicants.

I can't remember if anyone in last year's 20 something page thread mentioned being given access before the switch to Decision. Then again, this year is so unlike years past in everything we've seen. 

I hate this.

upgrade

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 17, 2009, 09:56:11 PM »
I'm hoping it was just an error.  At least two people from my school got in last year via EA, one just outside top 10% and one inside 5%, which is where I sit, at a school 50-60.  I couldn't get in today.

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: April 17, 2009, 10:07:02 PM »
I hope it's an error too, upgrade.

Can someone who had access and remembers what they saw give us a little information about what kinds of things were on the site?  Someone said there was nothing for transfer students (this weighs in favor of error, at least), but what kinds of things DID it say?   

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 17, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
Gave a rundown of the 1L curriculum, housing, finnancial aid deadlines (all passed, obviously,) information for arranging a tour of the campus...

I really do think it was an error... and I'm one of the people who would benefit if it wasn't, so take that for what it's worth.

Miguel Bain

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 17, 2009, 10:24:09 PM »
Just curious,

But did the people in past years who went decision around midnight have the usual update earlier in the day around 5PM or not?

Nebulous

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2009, 10:24:38 PM »
Thanks, ToTransfer. And thanks for sending that e-mail, btw.

It being the 1L curric is helpful for the error claim.

It would be nice, given that the glitch was brought to their attention, if they sent all EA applicants (or posted a general announcement on the transfer site) a message alerting us to the error and reassuring us that everything is running smoothly.  

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »
The admitted students site that was up last year had a combination of incoming 1L and transfer information on it, with most of the information relating to incoming 1Ls.

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2009, 11:21:55 PM »
I scoured the page for transfer info- there was nothing.

Additionally, the poll seems to indicate it was a glitch: someone from top 10% of a T4 had access, but 2 people top 5% from the T1 did not. That indicates error to me.

publicinterestnyc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »
Does anyone remember a similar incident about 2 or 3 years ago at Harvard (or
Harvard Business School) where students who prematurely accessed the admitted students
website using their SSN were expelled? In that case, the students were trying
to ascertain whether they had been accepted prior to a formal decision being
mailed to them. I recall that Harvard expelled or rejected everyone that
prematurely accessed the admitted students website. I think it had something to
do with unethical conduct?

[P.S. To the competitive students on this forum who are desperately trying to
get into GULC: you might want to anonymously remind GULC about how Harvard
handled this and suggest GULC react similarly.]

Disclaimer: I didn't apply to GULC, and I don't plan to apply there.
I did apply to UChi EA because it's really a better law school overall.

Edit: Stats: 4.0 GPA, T2 (not T1)

ToTransferOrNot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2009, 01:38:05 AM »
lol, I'm not sure if I can think of a more absurd, childish suggestion than "You (prospective students) should tell GULC to reject everyone who was curious enough to check whether they could log on to the admitted students webpage once rumors started up on a few message boards!" I understand that you're being sarcastic (or at least I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt,) but come on.

I'm not saying that Harvard didn't do something that ridiculous, by the way. It honestly doesn't surprise me that much. That, however, doesn't change how absurd an action it is to take. Clearly, we all did a lot of harm being able to see the admitted students page, and it smacked of unethical behavior.