Law School Discussion

Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!

Re: Ultimate Thread for GULC EA!!
« Reply #900 on: May 08, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
I got deferred letter dated 5/5...i only applied P/T...i was kinda expecting a rejection  :-\ letter since my stats arent that great...3.7 LGPA  3.1 UGPA and a lower 150s LSAT

What are the chances of getting accepted RD if you actually perform better this semester? And, is there any other additional material I can sent in in order to boost my chances? I really want to move to DC and Georgetown is my top choice.

« Reply #901 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
If they defer you, I assume your chances of getting in if your grades improved would be good, otherwise they would have rejected you outright.

FYI, for those of you that havent checked the admitted page since Cornblat sent his e-mail earlier, this insurance policy of ours is $500 more expensive than we thought. Another premium is due by June 1st:/ Unless you are fortunate enough to get your spring grades by then and willing to gamble on a better acceptance elsewhere...

« Reply #902 on: May 08, 2009, 05:52:14 PM »
Didn't get the e-mail for some reason. 

So all of you first-round admits sent in your deposit by today, right? 

How much were you expecting, ToTransfer?  Any news on UChi?  I have not been following the thread, but I'd like to know.

« Reply #903 on: May 08, 2009, 06:03:49 PM »
I e-mailed UChi; decisions early next week.

To be honest, Neb, I was hoping that the $350 deposit that was due today would hold me until I at least had my spring grades. I wasn't expecting an additional $500 by June 1st.

Granted, even $850 is small beans in the grand scheme of things considering how much more I'll be paying at any school I transfer to (leaving in-state tuition and dirt cheap CoL behind, probably an extra $80k, not including interest) but still. I need a new laptop, that $850 could have paid for it:/

« Reply #904 on: May 09, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »
it goes against your tuition; if you do end up there, you can get that laptop anyway. i'm glad they make it high to give other people

« Reply #905 on: May 09, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
a chance*

« Reply #906 on: May 09, 2009, 10:21:24 AM »
Well, no one who is using GULC as their insurance policy is going to withdraw merely based on another $500. It is just punishing those of us who are doing that.

Not that I think it is unfair or anything. There is something a bit dishonest about putting down the deposits if you're planning to bail for other schools. However, GULC clearly anticipates that is what people are going to do- I imagine that these seat deposits are a nice additional influx of money for them.

« Reply #907 on: May 09, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »
i think $850 is a big enough chunk of change to deter many, many people from simply placeholding a spot... i however, will be trying my luck at michigan, CLS, nyu and boalt as well though... probably didn't go big boy enough this semester to wrangle down that harvard beast

« Reply #908 on: May 10, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
Well, no one who is using GULC as their insurance policy is going to withdraw merely based on another $500. It is just punishing those of us who are doing that.

Not that I think it is unfair or anything. There is something a bit dishonest about putting down the deposits if you're planning to bail for other schools. However, GULC clearly anticipates that is what people are going to do- I imagine that these seat deposits are a nice additional influx of money for them.

Ya, I mean that is the whole point of a deposit.  I don't feel bad about placeholding when they're essentially going to get a free 850 from me, if I go somewhere else.  And as I've said before, $850 isn't much of a deterrent to someone who clearly understands the ramifications of this decision.