Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Help Deciding on Essay Topic...  (Read 1560 times)

Prismpunk

• View Profile
Need Help Deciding on Essay Topic...
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:04 PM »
I have decided that I am going to start to write my personal statement pretty soon and I cant decide on what topic to write about. I sort of have two topics in mind and I would appreciate any type of advice or consensus on which one might be the better choice.

Topic #1:
I Studied Abroad in Australia for 6 months and I wanted to write about my experiences. Living on my own halfway around the world and gaining a new sense of independence that has helped me to view life from a difference perspective and experience things outside of my comfort zone.

Topic #2:
Somewhat cliched but the other topic i had in mind is explaining my experiences in growing up with a Holocaust family and how it has shaped my life, how i can learn from it, or what i can do to prevent it from reoccuring (pretty cliched).

Which sounds like the better topic? Thanks.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciding on Essay Topic...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
The first one is way more cliched than the second, tbh.

If you can write about the second one honestly, focus on how it shaped your life. Don't talk about what you can learn from it or how you can prevent it from reoccuring (hint: you can't.)

Make it a story about YOU.

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:30 PM »

If you can write about the second one honestly, focus on how it shaped your life. Don't talk about what you can learn from it or how you can prevent it from reoccuring (hint: you can't.)

How would I be able to frame my personal statement so that I can talk about how it might have shaped my life?

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »

How would I be able to frame my personal statement so that I can talk about how it might have shaped my life?

What do you mean? The PS can be whatever you want it to be. You don't have to explain "why law [school]" or anything like that. If you want to start it with a story and make it a narrative, you can do that. If you want to talk about a particular conversation, or a particular moment, or a particular decision that shaped the way you think about something, you can talk about that.

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:10:00 PM »

What do you mean? The PS can be whatever you want it to be. You don't have to explain "why law [school]" or anything like that. If you want to start it with a story and make it a narrative, you can do that. If you want to talk about a particular conversation, or a particular moment, or a particular decision that shaped the way you think about something, you can talk about that.

I think I asked that question because im not sure how to frame my holocaust story. I think I can talk about a particular moment where it shaped the way I think about it and how that might have changed my life.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 04:52:51 PM »
I think a personal statement about growing up with Holocaust survivors has the potential to be a very powerful and very meaningful personal statement.  You don't have to discuss why it made you want to go to law school necessarily but could use the opportunity to distinguish yourself as being a unique candidate because of your unique background, which is always a good idea.  I think you can emphasize how it has impacted other areas of your life and made you consider U.S. government actions/responses and those of other governments more seriously, particularly given the fact that so many groups have tried to deny the existence of the Holocaust.  I think you could really set yourself apart from others if you discuss how this has had both an emotional and philosophical impact on the rest of your life.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

Prismpunk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 07:02:58 PM »
I think a personal statement about growing up with Holocaust survivors has the potential to be a very powerful and very meaningful personal statement.  You don't have to discuss why it made you want to go to law school necessarily but could use the opportunity to distinguish yourself as being a unique candidate because of your unique background, which is always a good idea.  I think you can emphasize how it has impacted other areas of your life and made you consider U.S. government actions/responses and those of other governments more seriously, particularly given the fact that so many groups have tried to deny the existence of the Holocaust.  I think you could really set yourself apart from others if you discuss how this has had both an emotional and philosophical impact on the rest of your life.  Good luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law

Thanks alot for your response. It was exactly along the lines of what I was looking for. I knew I could incorporate the Holocaust into my personal statement, but I wasn't sure of the right direction to take. I am technically a 3G so both of my grandparents were survivors and it has already had a definite impact on my life. Focusing on my experiences growing up could definitely set me apart in my personal statement.