Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GMU and ABA badgering  (Read 2485 times)

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
GMU and ABA badgering
« on: February 22, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »
With regard to ethnic diversity, George Mason University has an interesting past. There was a WSJ op-ed written about this in April '08: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120934372123648583.html?mod=opinion_main_commentaries .It seems like with the student body composed of ~20% URM students there would also be diversity of viewpoints, but I have definitely heard otherwise (people are always talking about how overly conservative GMU is).

Please read the op-ed and respond with your thoughts! I think there are strong arguments to be made advocating and criticizing AA, but the ABA's behavior represents a trend that is much scarier than an institution adhering to any sort of AA doctrine. Let me know what you think!

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
Re: GMU and ABA badgering
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
Conservative =/= not diverse. 
Mercer University School of Law '12

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
Conservative =/= not diverse. 

Did you read the piece?
Have you visited GMU?
- I have heard such varying accounts of experiences visiting GMU/American that I will withhold judgment until I visit them for myself

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
No, I didn't, because the link was broken.  I'm just saying that a conservative atmosphere does not mean that it's not diverse. (I am taking diverse to mean in the AA sense here, although I do think that the word as applied there is rather misleading)  You posted the racial status yourself - I'm not sure what else exactly that you want them to do....

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 07:21:14 PM »
Diversity adds nothing to the equation. It doesn't subtract, but it also doesn't add.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
Sorry about the broken link! I updated the post and it should work well.

I feel that with regards to "diversity" (in the AA sense), GMU has done all that it can, but the ABA doesn't agree. I think I misread your =/= not diverse to say =/= diverse. Sorry!

I really wonder how conservative GMU is, and how much this thinking permeates the teaching. I don't feel there is much a school can do to increase the diversity of viewpoints in the student body. How many students really reveal their views in a PS?

That being said, this board is probably a little biased, as I've read countless threads lauding the "diversity" of opinions at Boalt, but I have a hard time believing it's that intellectually diverse... and John Woo seems like a transparent token conservative hire

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 08:52:42 PM »
Well, as for diversity of opinion, most law schools are more on the extreme liberal side of things - isn't it possible that GMU is a form of diversity in and of itself? 

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »
Well, as for diversity of opinion, most law schools are more on the extreme liberal side of things - isn't it possible that GMU is a form of diversity in and of itself? 

I have been thinking the exact same thing since I first heard about GMU and it's libertarian bent. GMU is one of the top schools on my list, and their law and economics approach seems to be pretty unique. How many other law schools can boast nobel laureates as faculty members?

I think that an ECON approach in a lot of peoples eyes automatically connotes conservatism. I am looking forward to visiting for sure.