Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: would you switch?  (Read 2581 times)

nsync

• View Profile
would you switch?
« on: February 22, 2009, 06:07:50 PM »
non-trad.  34, engineer, salary $130k+.   Work is interesting probably more than any area of law, but not challenging.  I prefer challenge to interesting, and $$$ over both.  Considering part-time law school while working.  Assume in-state tuition at a lower Tier 1 (30+ ranking).

If you were in my shoes, would you pursue a law degree?

7Dreams

• View Profile
Re: would you switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »
I would make a pro/con list and start there. From what you've posted, I don't see any cons but maybe there are some that you haven't written about.

saradsun

• Sr. Citizen
  • Off to Cali
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 08:28:11 PM »
I certainly wouldn't. Law school tuition is really high and you are already making decent money. Yes, I always wanted to be a lawyer, but I wouldn't be doing it at 40 if I could have made decent money doing something else. Part time law school while working is no sure thing at getting "big law." Top 10 law students are not guaranteed big law ... ok, I hate to say it, in this economy.

nsync

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 05:28:39 AM »
I certainly wouldn't. Law school tuition is really high and you are already making decent money. Yes, I always wanted to be a lawyer, but I wouldn't be doing it at 40 if I could have made decent money doing something else. Part time law school while working is no sure thing at getting "big law." Top 10 law students are not guaranteed big law ... ok, I hate to say it, in this economy.

Thanks.  This is the sanity check I wanted to hear because I can't rationally justify going to law school.  I'm also wondering how long the "in this economy" will persist or, in obama-speak, "change".  The current administration is attracted to salary caps relative to the government executive branch.  I hope this view on compensation doesn't extend to other areas such as law.  But it is interesting how legal employment "ITE" follows the corporate environment.

tortfeasor77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »
I'd echo the above as well.  Avg lawyer salary nationally is 46K so don't think that the big $$ will come flowing in right away after school.  Also, not sure if you're interested in mixing your engineering background with a law background, but look and see if there are other ways to do that through lest costly certification programs etc...

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 01:19:57 PM »
You either want to be a lawyer, or you don't.  Simple as that, really.  It doesn't sound like you want it.
Fed gov't atty

k0em9u

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:39:51 AM »
I'm with linquest on this one. I generally encourage engineers to go for it, you are a popular breed among law firms, but law school is a beast of its own. Going to law school if you are uncertain about wanting to be a lawyer is just, in appropriate internet speak, epic fail.

I firmly believe you cannot succeed in law school without having a passion for what you will be doing.

And, on a separate but related note, making any form of career decision based on "want to make more money" is also very likely to be a disaster. Money follows from success.
Sue me female dog, I know a lawyer.

getfit

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
Linquest

why do you want to be a lawyer?  Not criticizing anything, I just want to hear others reasons for it to compare to my own.