Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Questions....  (Read 694 times)

lawguy09

• View Profile
Questions....
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:47:09 PM »
I've just been accepted to a few schools and I'm eager to start law school in the fall...is there any adivce you'd give on what to do to get ahead now.  is there any reading that you wish you would have done or parts of the law you'd wish you'd knew more about?

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Questions....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
I've just been accepted to a few schools and I'm eager to start law school in the fall...is there any adivce you'd give on what to do to get ahead now.  is there any reading that you wish you would have done or parts of the law you'd wish you'd knew more about?

Not everybody agrees with this, but it never hurts to read E&E books (Examples and Explanations books) that are fairly simplistic and give you a very rough idea of the law in given area. 

Just remember that: a) it's very simplistic in many respects; b) your teacher may/may not really follow it, and he/she may tell you different things.  Always follow what your professor says!

You do not necessarily need to read anything before law school, though.  Many people do well without reading before law school.  However, I read a little right before law school, and it seemed to help me, in that I was less stressed out and was picking up concepts a little faster.  (Of course, law students are smart and they catch up quickly!)

Good luck!

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »
Personally, I would just enjoy your life now. You won't have as much free time after law school starts. Take it easy over the summer, plan a trip, or whatever. If you choose to read, make it light reading and don't cancel plans for it. I can't imagine it helps enough to actually take pre-law school studying very seriously.

RobWreck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »
Taking a light read-through on something like an E&E or Mastering Torts or Dressler's 'Understanding Criminal Law' couldn't hurt as long as you understand that you're reading it not to get a solid understanding of the material but only to get a passing familiarity with it. I wouldn't go crazy, but if you're looking to get some idea of what the material will be about, it at least explains it in a way that's far more familiar than trying to pull the BLL out of the cases...
Good Luck,
Rob
St. John's University School of Law '11
Part-time PM Division
Admitted in NY

UnbiasedObserver

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:29 PM »
Personally, I would just enjoy your life now. You won't have as much free time after law school starts. Take it easy over the summer, plan a trip, or whatever. If you choose to read, make it light reading and don't cancel plans for it. I can't imagine it helps enough to actually take pre-law school studying very seriously.

Good point.  I definitely wouldn't change plans, and wouldn't take more than a passing glance at material. 

Personally, I only read approximately 2 weeks before class (while going to the beach, of course!  :D)

likewise

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »
Nothing. Do absolutely nothing related to law school.

1st semester 1L can be confusing, and I'd be concerned that any reading for classes in advance would make it worse, not better. Professors can be quirky folks. One's better to feel profs out in the first coupla weeks than to enter with preconceptions.

Take a vacation, hang with your friends or SO, read a cheesy novel on the beach. I think those are the best ways to prepare for 1L.

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 11:12:36 PM »

Live life! Have as much fun as possible. You'll miss it come September, trust me.
I didn't do any pre-school reading or studying and did just fine. Looking back, it would have been stupid for me to do so. You really are just going to have to wait until you get there to have any idea of what you'll be doing, what will work for you, etc.