Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: WUSTL v. BU v. W & L v. GW  (Read 663 times)

Wunda

• View Profile
WUSTL v. BU v. W & L v. GW
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:55 PM »
Insight into this choice?  Does it matter completely on whether I'm staying in the respective regions?  Which would be better for clerkships?  Government?  Public interest?

For those with the inclination for more detail, how about a round robin of the choices?

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: WUSTL v. BU v. W & L v. GW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:44 AM »
Insight into this choice?  Does it matter completely on whether I'm staying in the respective regions?  Which would be better for clerkships?  Government?  Public interest?

For those with the inclination for more detail, how about a round robin of the choices?

W&L shouldn't be on that list for consideration.  GW is in DC, so GW.   

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
I can only speak to GW b/c I don't really know anything about the other schools. GW is a great school, we have two S.Ct. clerks going starting 2009, and I know a lot of people doing clerkships.If I had to guess, I would say GW probably places clerks better than WUSTL, BU, W&L but that is complete speculation.

Other than that, going to law school in DC has been great. My biased opinion is on GW.

soundsgood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »
Those schools all seem pretty much equal in my opinion.  Depending upon where you want to work, the best choice would probably change--WUSTL for the midwest, BU for the northeast, GW for DC, and W&L for the southeast.  I may be a homer, but I think W&L certainly belongs on that list, almost everyone here also got into GW, and chose not to go for some reason or another.

I think when deciding between schools as similar as these, personal factors really come into play.  For instance, Lexington is going to be a lot different than Boston, St. Louis, or DC.  Or, if you really want to be in DC, it is not worth passing up GW just becaause WUSTL is slightly higher ranked.

I'd visit them, get a feel for what life would be like for 3 years, figure out where you want to work upon graduation, and compare scholarship offers.

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:46:46 PM »
I agree with soundsgood. All of these are good schools, so I would think region should be a deciding factor. If you want to practice in New England for instance, BU would serve you much better than WUSTL (probably better than W&L and GW too).

W&L does pretty well with clerkships too, so I disagree with Contract2008. If you feel more at home at W&L, why not go there? Clerkships are super-competitive anyway, so being comfortable in your environment might enable you to rise to the top of your class, which is definitely necessary for a clerkship.

That being said, I am pending at all of these schools, so when you do decide, please withdraw your others soon! Haha good luck though!