Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ONLY One Year on Law Review  (Read 3826 times)

LULAW1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
ONLY One Year on Law Review
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:20:09 AM »
I did not make it onto LR my 2L year.  However, I did make it my 3L year.  Will prospective employers view this negatively?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ONLY One Year on Law Review
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:02:01 AM »
Better than no years, like how I plan to roll.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:58:51 AM »
You also may run into a requirement of two years on journal (if you're going to be on) for many schools, although apparently not if you "got on" as a 3L.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:16:30 AM »
Not if you got on by writing something they are going to publish.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:25:47 AM »
Just make sure you get the chance to publish something, a note, a case review, something before you leave so you get a publication out of it. That will help more than just being staff for one year since you can't go for board.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »
Just make sure you get the chance to publish something, a note, a case review, something before you leave so you get a publication out of it. That will help more than just being staff for one year since you can't go for board.

yea definitely publish something! and if your law review doesn't want to publish it find another law schools' law review who does...
   My law school had a 2 year commitment for law review AND I couldn't do it after my first year b/c i was an evening student and didn't have enough credits to do the write on... So then when I could do the write on after my second year.. i chose not to b/c i knew that I was going to leave for my third year to visit another law school for my final year near the city i want to practice. So i decided to do a supervised research paper and then when I finished my article I sent it to law reviews all over the county.. there are websites that make it easy to send to law reviews throughout the country... within one week, i was offered publication for my article... so I get all the advantages and more of law review without all the stress of it.

publishing something something worthwhile... to the OP.. don't worry about it... it doesn't matter as long as you can put the law review on your resume... i think it is great you were even able to get on after you weren't able to get on after your first year... Great job!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:51:45 AM »
Seriously, why the hell do people do law review? I understand it's a "great credential" and *&^%, but it seems like such a major pain in the ass at a time when you need major pains in the ass the least.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 02:37:11 PM »
Seriously, why the hell do people do law review? I understand it's a "great credential" and poo, but it seems like such a major pain in the ass at a time when you need major pains in the ass the least.

I did it for the credential reason.  I had mediocre grades, and I ended up doing much better at OCI than my grades would have predicted - it was probably cause of law review, or my charming personality.  Plus at my school we need to write two substantial papers, and LR takes care of one of them.  Overall it's not really that much work at all - I had one assignment that took about 25-30 hours during 1st semester, and other than that maybe another 5 or 6 short assignments spread throughout the year that took 1-3 hours each.   

And why would 2L be a time when you need major pains in the ass the least?

Fair enough.

I was just referring to law school in general as when you don't need the ass pains.

lexloci

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
Latin Lord,  Where did you get published and can you offer any advice specifically?

yea definitely publish something! and if your law review doesn't want to publish it find another law schools' law review who does...
   My law school had a 2 year commitment for law review AND I couldn't do it after my first year b/c i was an evening student and didn't have enough credits to do the write on... So then when I could do the write on after my second year.. i chose not to b/c i knew that I was going to leave for my third year to visit another law school for my final year near the city i want to practice. So i decided to do a supervised research paper and then when I finished my article I sent it to law reviews all over the county.. there are websites that make it easy to send to law reviews throughout the country... within one week, i was offered publication for my article... so I get all the advantages and more of law review without all the stress of it.

publishing something something worthwhile... to the OP.. don't worry about it... it doesn't matter as long as you can put the law review on your resume... i think it is great you were even able to get on after you weren't able to get on after your first year... Great job!

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 11:15:35 AM »
Latin Lord,  Where did you get published and can you offer any advice specifically?

Sure... I recommend writing an article on your own working with a professor for supervised/directed research.. then finding a law review specific to your topic... This website is awesome... it allows you to send your manuscript to multiple law reviews at once... http://law.bepress.com/expresso/ 

Good luck!!

Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!