Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Penn State  (Read 2597 times)

swc5018

• View Profile
Penn State
« on: February 20, 2009, 06:46:20 PM »
Does anyone care to share their thoughts about Penn State Dickinson? I've heard opinions that are all over the map, ranging from how much it sucks to how great it is. I'm under the impression that it is on it's way up since merging with the main campus in University Park a few years back, and opening up a brand new building this year, but I just wanted some other opinions. Thanks.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Penn State
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:02:51 AM »
PSU is fine and will serve you well. The only real problem is the price. And Joe Pa. ;)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

J.J. Gittes

• Fight On, State.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - luvshoops3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:42:09 PM »
PSU is fine and will serve you well. The only real problem is the price. And Joe Pa. ;)

minus the joe pa part, that's about right.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »
You know, Penn State will always be in the shadow of University of Penn. just like FSU will always be in the shadow of University of Florida.  But, other than that, it's an okay school.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
You know, Penn State will always be in the shadow of University of Penn. just like FSU will always be in the shadow of University of Florida.  But, other than that, it's an okay school.

Horrible analogy.

Florida State and Florida are on par in pretty much every way and everyone knows the two apart from one another.

Meanwhile, Penn is vastly superior to Penn State, but almost any layman thinks that they are the exact same school, and usually they think of Penn State when you say Penn.

ohioan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »

What strenghts does PSU have that you say it will serve one well? I have not found it to be particularly strong in employment prospects, even in NY/DC which is where they claim to be strong. However, my research was focused on IP firms, so maybe that's why I did not find much representation from PSU.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:08:06 PM »

What strenghts does PSU have that you say it will serve one well? I have not found it to be particularly strong in employment prospects, even in NY/DC which is where they claim to be strong. However, my research was focused on IP firms, so maybe that's why I did not find much representation from PSU.

In no particular order, good bar passage rate, good placement rate both in state and out of state, good alumni network, low attrition, good social scene, solid parent university, and buckets of lay prestige. There's probably more, but that's a good start.

Seriously, the price is the only real sticking point as far as I can see it.

DCLabor25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »
As somebody there now, I generally agree with what others have said -- it's a good school, but the price is a sticking point.  Then again, I also think that most law schools, especially those in the second tier, are over-priced.  The one thing about PSU is that they do give out a fair amount of scholarship money to offset the high cost.

I would also add this -- if your heart if set on DC, then, no, I don't think is the right school for you.  But I also think you have to be realistic about job prospects in DC generally.  Jobs there are tough to come by no matter where you go.

As for PSU's strong points, I would add one more -- you don't have to stay in PA to go here, but, if you do, just about everybody in PA knows of PSU-Dickinson, from when it was just Dickinson.  Go to any of the major PA law firms and you will find Dickinson grads, their grads are also federal judges, politicians (both Tom Ridge and Rick Santorum went to Dickinson) -- etc. 

Feel free to ask me anytime questions.

oneofalot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 12:15:46 PM »
"You know, Penn State will always be in the shadow of University of Penn. just like FSU will always be in the shadow of University of Florida.  But, other than that, it's an okay school."

Horrible, Horrible analogy. First off, Penn is an Ivy League law school usually ranked in the top 5. Florida is a good school but is nothing itself compared to Penn. Florida and Penn are not  in the same league. Penn State and Florida State will most like be in the same league within the next few years and currently Florida State is in the same league as Florida. If you are looking at Penn State, Florida State, or Florida, then you are most like not looking at Penn. Additionally Penn State MIGHT surpass both Florida and Florida State who are cheaper but are know to be more regional school.

In the US news rankings, facilities are included in the rankings. Penn State just went from one of the worst facilities to the most expensive law school ever built. As far as Penn State costing too much, for a “state” college, you are absolutely right, for law school in general, not really. Most likely Penn State will be ranked in tier one within the next 3 to 5 years. There are many thing you can say about Penn State, but one thing you cant say is that they don’t know what they are doing.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 05:48:53 PM »
"You know, Penn State will always be in the shadow of University of Penn. just like FSU will always be in the shadow of University of Florida.  But, other than that, it's an okay school."

Horrible, Horrible analogy. First off, Penn is an Ivy League law school usually ranked in the top 5. Florida is a good school but is nothing itself compared to Penn. Florida and Penn are not  in the same league. Penn State and Florida State will most like be in the same league within the next few years and currently Florida State is in the same league as Florida. If you are looking at Penn State, Florida State, or Florida, then you are most like not looking at Penn. Additionally Penn State MIGHT surpass both Florida and Florida State who are cheaper but are know to be more regional school.

In the US news rankings, facilities are included in the rankings. Penn State just went from one of the worst facilities to the most expensive law school ever built. As far as Penn State costing too much, for a “state” college, you are absolutely right, for law school in general, not really. Most likely Penn State will be ranked in tier one within the next 3 to 5 years. There are many thing you can say about Penn State, but one thing you cant say is that they don’t know what they are doing.

Don't mind him, he's just a hater. :)