Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pros/Cons of Cornell?  (Read 3658 times)

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pros/Cons of Cornell?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 04:16:18 PM »
Another Cornell 1L here happy to take questions.

iahurricane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
con- the women  :D

tlewi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:38 AM »
Where's the best place for 1Ls to live other than Hughes? Collegetown apartments? I'm looking for a decent place that doesn't require walking up a hill in the snow to get to class...

Aluhks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »
Where's the best place for 1Ls to live other than Hughes? Collegetown apartments? I'm looking for a decent place that doesn't require walking up a hill in the snow to get to class...

Collegetown is better than Hughes, but at the bottom of the hill in/around the Commons is best. There are a lot of bus stops, so you don't have to walk up the hill, rents are lower, apartments are nicer, and all the best bars in town are down in the Commons. Plus, for 1L year Cornell pays for you to have free bus service.

I think people living in Hughes are out of their minds. Being able to get to school without ever going outside sounds nice but it is a recipe for complete stress overload.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »

Collegetown is better than Hughes, but at the bottom of the hill in/around the Commons is best. There are a lot of bus stops, so you don't have to walk up the hill, rents are lower, apartments are nicer, and all the best bars in town are down in the Commons. Plus, for 1L year Cornell pays for you to have free bus service.

I think people living in Hughes are out of their minds. Being able to get to school without ever going outside sounds nice but it is a recipe for complete stress overload.

Don't get me wrong, I agree. But I think that it works really well for some people. Actually, some people love Hughes.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
I live in Collegetown and I think my proximity to school made winter surprisingly bearable.  The Commons is MUCH cheaper, but if you don't want to walk up the hill in the winter or freeze waiting for the bus you may want to splurge for the closer apts and tell yourself it's extra tuition  ;). People seem to be happy with Hughes too and it's very social.  I think I'd go crazy if I was that close to the law school during finals.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
Do you guys have roommates, or do you live by yourselves? Rent in Ithaca seems a lot higher than I expected, espescially since the town my UG was in was pretty similar.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
Do you guys have roommates, or do you live by yourselves? Rent in Ithaca seems a lot higher than I expected, espescially since the town my UG was in was pretty similar.

I live in a house here with two other 1Ls and a number of 2Ls. Rent is pretty affordable, actually. A number of people have roommates - and it definitely saves money.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2009, 10:40:13 AM »
i know some law students who live in the valentine apartments.  you do have to cross route 79 to get to campus, but there's no hill involved.  i used to live in a separate complex owned by the same company and i was very pleased with the building.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
I live by myself and as woe said it's a lot more money the less people you're living with and the closer you are to campus.  Collegetown offers plenty of studios and 1-bedrooms.  There also are multi-bedroom apartments (i think some places will take as many as 9), and some people will get a group together after their first year and share a house.  You should be able to find whatever you're looking for, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend and grabbing a place early.