Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pros/Cons of Cornell?  (Read 3696 times)

tlewi

• View Profile
Re: Pros/Cons of Cornell?
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:10:40 PM »
Thanks for the helpful info everyone! I'm visiting Cornell for ASD this coming Friday...can't wait!

To woeisme: thanks for your offer. I live in MD and would like to practice law in DC after graduation. Do you know how well Cornell places there? I know they have smaller numbers because of fewer students, but I was wondering what their reputation among DC firms are like.

Also, do you live in Hughes? I'm trying to decide whether I want to apply for housing there.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
Hey, tlewi!  I'll be at the ASD on Friday as well.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

tlewi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:18:22 PM »
Awesome! Where are you from?

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 04:53:28 PM »
Thanks for the helpful info everyone! I'm visiting Cornell for ASD this coming Friday...can't wait!

To woeisme: thanks for your offer. I live in MD and would like to practice law in DC after graduation. Do you know how well Cornell places there? I know they have smaller numbers because of fewer students, but I was wondering what their reputation among DC firms are like.

Also, do you live in Hughes? I'm trying to decide whether I want to apply for housing there.

Practicing law in DC is very doable. From what I understand it's among the most popular destinations for Cornell grads. Everyone I know here who has wanted to work in DC has gotten offers they're happy with in DC. These include people who are both towards the top and bottom of their class. So, to me that'd indicate that Cornell does place well there. I really don't know how it ranks in comparison to other schools, but regardless... I don't think you need to worry about getting a job in DC from here.

I do not live in Hughes - I just couldn't stomach the idea of dorm life again. I have friends that live there - most like it a lot. It's just absurdly convenient. I'd recommend looking at it when you visit and then deciding - it's not for everyone, but if you're down with that type of living arrangement, I think it makes a LOT of sense.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

treefity350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 05:00:25 PM »
Go to Duke. Go to Duke. Go to Duke. Go to Duke.
Remember when I was at the picnic - the company picnic - and I hit the ball over the fence? You guys didn't think I'd catch it too but I did. I'm fast as s**t - 17 stolen bases in '72, 18 in '91.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 09:28:30 PM »
Hey everyone,

I just found out I got into Cornell yesterday via email...so excited! I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but Cornell is definitely on the top of my list.

The only major problems I have is that I'm not a cold weather person and tuition seems to be a lot higher than other comparable schools. Does anyone have some good pro/cons about Cornell? And does anyone know if the environment is actually as intense and competitive as rumored?

Thanks!

Congrats on your acceptance!
I'm not a cold weather person at all and i love it here.  I could see if your decision was between CA and Ithaca, but I think coming from MD you'll be fine.  Lovebutton has a valid point about it being really isolated though.  Flying out of Ithaca is a pain, but the fact that 7 months in and a crummy airport is my biggest complaint...should say a lot. 

There's no cutthroat atmosphere to worry about.  People have worked very hard to get here and i'm sure everyone wants to be at the top of the class, but not at the expense of screwing over classmates.  The best thing you can probably do is visit and get the feel, because i'm sure everyone here has great things to say about their school. You'll probably find the right "fit" the same way you did in undergrad.  I don't check in here too often any more but feel free to ask any more questions.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
Go to Duke. Go to Duke. Go to Duke. Go to Duke.

Ew, no.  :P

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 09:43:13 PM »
Awesome! Where are you from?

I thought I applied to this, but apparently my post isn't there.  I'm from Syracuse. 
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

PollyMaggoo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »
The return of PollyMaggoo?

I just can't seem to quit...

Am I confusing you with another poster, or were you applying this cycle? How's it going?

Liz Lemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
i went to ithaca college (the smaller, less elite, but way cooler school), and i think the town of ithaca rocks!  it gets really cold there but remember that if you want to Michigan or Chicago it would be a lot colder.  i'm currently in nyc and ithaca is generally only 10 degrees colder on an average day.

the cost of living is nothing and ithaca is seriously lovely.  it's truly amazing in good weather, which exists for approximately 4 weeks of the school year!  for obvious reasons i don't think cornell makes its students get out as much, but there are a lot of fun activities in the town.  there's an apple harvest festival every fall, an incredible brewery, and the best farmer's market i've been to.  the mall completely sucks though.

awww just writing this made me want to go back to ithaca.  sadly i will not be getting into cornell law but i hope you all enjoy it there!