Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pros/Cons of Cornell?  (Read 3763 times)

tlewi

• View Profile
Pros/Cons of Cornell?
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:41:24 PM »
Hey everyone,

I just found out I got into Cornell yesterday via email...so excited! I'm still waiting to hear from other schools, but Cornell is definitely on the top of my list.

The only major problems I have is that I'm not a cold weather person and tuition seems to be a lot higher than other comparable schools. Does anyone have some good pro/cons about Cornell? And does anyone know if the environment is actually as intense and competitive as rumored?

Thanks!

misbuble

• View Profile
Re: Pros/Cons of Cornell?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:44:27 PM »
Cornell seems like a great place to go to law school. What exactly makes you think it's more expensive? Which schools do you consider comparable? Duke? GULC? It seems like they would have about the same tuition.

tlewi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 12:47:43 PM »
Yeah I checked Duke, Georgetown and a few others and their tuition is in the low $40k, while Cornell is almost $49k a year...

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:00:17 PM »
COL would be higher in Georgetown though, so that comparison really isn't equal. I don't know about the area around Duke though...
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

misbuble

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
The only reason I'd possibly take duke/GULC over cornell even w/money considerations is because cornell's statistics were not up to par for the T14, I don't understand why or how, but if this is indicative of them losing clout, then I'd take duke/GULC... Cornell seems pretty cool though don't you think? It's an isolated IVY that has great connections to NYC. GULC has a lot of negatives IMO. Duke...is in durham...Who places better in NYC biglaw? Personally, that would make my c/d decision (thankfully I was accepted to MVPB, but if I hadn't been, Cornell looked pretty sweet). I hear Cornell's major con is that it doesn't have a great class selection b/c it's a relatively small school.

That said, if you get into any T10 schools, this becomes irrelevant.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »
Cornell's got a lot of good clinics and programs.  It places really well, and has a great faculty/student ratio.

You should definitely visit the school before passing any judgments on it.  Ithaca's a great little town, but there's a shuttle to NYC (4 hours or less) and it's close enough to Toronto and Montreal too.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 01:56:51 PM »
COL would be higher in Georgetown though

Just FYI, GULC is not in Georgetown. The capital hill neighborhood (closest residential area to GULC) is considerably cheaper to live in. Depending on your tastes in living, D.C. might not be significantly more expensive.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:50 PM »
LOL, I meant AT GULC... whatev.

The point still stands, DC is a major city. Ithaca is well, slightly less major... ;)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 02:18:34 PM »
If you are truly not a cold weather person, you really need to think about whether you could be happy in upstate NY.  It is frigging freezing.

That said, Cornell is a fabulous school and you should visit.  If you have the chance to visit before it gets warm, that might actually be a great thing for you.

Cornell was ruined for me when I took a greyhound there from New Haven.  Eight hours on a bus caused me to think of Ithaca as being way, way too isolated for me.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
It's a little more than Duke, a little less than NU, right?

The environment is no more intense than at other schools. I of course don't say this from personal experience (I've only attended one law school).

I'm a 1L @ Cornell now - I like it a lot. Feel free to ask more specific questions.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.