Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Referring to a fully mature female peer as a 'girl'  (Read 6475 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Referring to a fully mature female peer as a 'girl'
« on: February 20, 2009, 07:49:09 AM »
I was thinking that I have a habit of referring to males of my age (mid-20s) as 'guys' and females of my age as 'girls'.  Now, I understand that there might be feminist issues raised here, but referring to a peer as a 'woman' sounds weird (so does referring to a peer as a 'man', mind you). 

What do you guys think of this habit?  Should I change my ways?  Will I eventually reach a point in my life where I can consider peers 'men' and 'women'?  Is this sexist?
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: Referring to a fully mature female peer as a 'girl'
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
I had this habit for a long time myself.  I think it stems largely from the alliteration in "guys and girls," rather than from a sexist mindset.  All the same, I've been trying to stop saying "girls" for the most part, and I'm at the point now where "women" almost comes more naturally.

Meh.  I'm not sure it's as sexist as some will say, but it's still probably a good idea (and probably more respectful) to try to drop "girls."
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
I've become more aware of this lately.  I think it's best to get in the habit of saying "woman".  You can definitely make the feminist argument that "girl" infantilizes women bringing them to a lower status.  I think that's true to a point, but not the motivation behind most people's use of the word.  For males we have the words "boy", "guy", and "man".  For some reason we switch over to using "guy" instead of "boy", but we don't do the same for females.  I suppose "gal" is the equivalent of "guy", but it sounds so old fashioned.  I only hear older people use.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:03 AM »
I have things to say about this later

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 09:07:37 AM »
It seems like a big problem is the formality of calling someone a 'man' or a 'woman'.  Calling a peer of mine a 'woman' or a 'man' just sounds weird.  I mean, I know we are women and men, but it seems too formal...

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:32:12 AM »
Should I change my ways? 

Yes.

Will I eventually reach a point in my life where I can consider peers 'men' and 'women'? 

Yes.

Is this sexist?

Yes.

:)
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
Should I change my ways? 

Yes.

Will I eventually reach a point in my life where I can consider peers 'men' and 'women'? 

Yes.

Is this sexist?

Yes.

:)

I guess I should have posed the questions in such a way that they would elicit more nuanced responses. ;)  Would you elaborate on your opinions?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:19:27 AM »

This is no way suprises me.

I just try to use nonloaded terms for everyone: bitchess, hos, honey, you people etc.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »

This is no way suprises me.

I just try to use nonloaded terms for everyone: bitchess, hos, honey, you people etc.

But seriously, I have the same issue. I don't feel old enough to be called a "man," so it feels weird calling females of the same age women, the only other choice is "girl" which is also not age appropriate. Guy is also a littly juvinille, it makes me think of frat boys...

Honestly though, I think it's really just habit, I've never used man or woman up till now, so it's hard to start. I just have to try to change my ways.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 10:39:29 AM »
What is the appropriate way to refer to a group of mixed gender in the plural 'you'? 

You ____?  Guys?  All?  People?  Folks? 

Language is important, but it seems like political considerations have to be weighed against communicative function.