Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ''Getting to Maybe'' or Law School Confidential''  (Read 4383 times)

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
Re: ''Getting to Maybe'' or Law School Confidential''
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 03:12:48 PM »
"get getting" lol  ;D
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
There's just not much you CAN do.  On a typical exam, most of the cases you cite will be for one proposition, if any, and the issues will be fairly obvious and discussed in class.  It's not like you'll suddenly see an obscure public necessity issue while all of your buddies will spot the ho-hum battery/trespass/IIED stuff.

For policy, anyone, and I mean anyone, can B.S. it.  I learn policy entirely from taking practice exams.  Ask me about why we have Eminent Domain.  Well, since I just took a Fennell exam with an ED question, now I can talk about.  Coase?  Forget about it. 

A good exam is mostly analytical aptitude, but what do I know?

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
Lovebutton's got it right - LSC is great for the 0L summer, although depending on where you go, the impression it gives you of law school might be a bit outdated.  It's still very good for survival tips though, and I still use the LSC method of reading cases.

Getting to Maybe is all about doing well on exams, and you shouldn't really bother with it before school starts, because you'll need to read it again during the semester.
Vandy Law 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:39 PM »
We did a short review of LSC over at www.prelawadvice.com this week.  Getting to Maybe will be reviewed next week.

LSC is good for learning about law school, but not good a guide for studying in law school.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 07:00:05 PM »
Jeez, you're such a gunner.  You striver students make me so angry.  I bet you'll study all the time come fall and brag to everyone about how hard you work. 

sarcasm?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Kevin.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 07:02:15 PM »
Jeez, you're such a gunner.  You striver students make me so angry.  I bet you'll study all the time come fall and brag to everyone about how hard you work. 

sarcasm?

Or complete obliviousness
Vandy Law 2011

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 07:42:54 PM »
no, wally is a "striver student," the question isn't whether he knows what he's talking about, it's whether he's making fun of himself. ;)
LSN

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 08:36:22 PM »
Bosco,
  Yeah, I'm a 0L, and perhaps I do have an overstated idea of how much time that I'll need to spend, but...I don't tend to cram, and I do tend to do extra stuff on my classes.  I was planning on basically putting in a 9-to-5 between classes and the library, then not thinking about law at all by the time I get back home...
Mercer University School of Law '12

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 03:21:27 AM »
Bosco,
  Yeah, I'm a 0L, and perhaps I do have an overstated idea of how much time that I'll need to spend, but...I don't tend to cram, and I do tend to do extra stuff on my classes.  I was planning on basically putting in a 9-to-5 between classes and the library, then not thinking about law at all by the time I get back home...

My first semester, it was more like 9 to 7 or 9 to 9, but as I got more comfortable with the material I was able to read faster.  I'm with you, though - it's a great feeling to come home and not have any work to do.

For that reason, among others, I highly recommend living with a non-law school student.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:36 AM »
Oh, yeah, now that I remember, they do recommend nights going later into the evening...But I thought that was quite a bit of hyperbole, especially since I'm a fast reader.  I'm sure that's the case at some points, but not the norm.  Eventually, you simply run out of helpful things to do.
Mercer University School of Law '12