Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ''Getting to Maybe'' or Law School Confidential''  (Read 4576 times)

lawness

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
''Getting to Maybe'' or Law School Confidential''
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:09 PM »
Which do you prefer? I want to buy one and I can't choose! I heard LSC has more negative undertones. I just want to read something that is somewhat interesting and will give me the most accurate idea of what I am getting myself into as well as offer some decent study tips..

SASS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ''Getting to Maybe'' or Law School Confidential''
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
Don't bother with Law School Confidential. Getting to Maybe is far superior as it is actually helpful.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:05:34 PM »
Getting to Maybe is only about exams (even more specifically, just issue-spotters). LSC is about the entire law school experience from admissions to OCI to clerkship apps, etc. They are very, very different. Given the above descriptions, you should probably be able to figure out which one you'd prefer.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:08:06 PM »
For what you've asked for I reccommend, Law school confidential.

Getting to maybe is something most people reccomend reading about halfway into your first semester.
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:10:45 PM »
Why either or?  They aren't expensive books, and it is not like there is much else to do for an 0L summer

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:13:13 PM »
Also, Planet Law School is the negative one. I don't think LSC is very negative at all.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Netopalis

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - troop85eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 12:22:50 AM »
LSC could be read as negative, I guess, but I prefer to think of it as being a bit more realistic.  Sure, it tells you that it's going to be a ton of work, but, uh....it will be.  I liked LSC when I read it, I think it got me in the right mentality going into my application cycle and I plan to read it again before I arrive at law school.
Mercer University School of Law '12

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 12:30:31 AM »
I know I am sounding redundant, but I agree with the posters below. I have read LSC already, having deferred from last fall. I thought I was going to law school, but decided not to. I have skimmed GtM, and I recommend reading LSC before school begins. GtM doesn't seem like it offers anything helpful for getting a 1L off to a running start or anything. LSC is more comprehensive.

lawstudent2012

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:38:02 AM »
I have read LSC and parts of PLS so far (it is 1000 pages), and although I obviously cannot say which works better since I am a 0L, I definitely am finding PLS to be a better read. 

LSC seems to take the work harder not smarter approach.  PLS sorta takes a work harder AND smarter approach.  And it has more real life examples of essay questions and cases that I am already finding very interesting. 

PLS is a completely negative book (very anti-establishment) but if you cut through all of the guy's rants against law schools/professors I'm finding it to be pretty helpful. 

Haven't read G2M.  If I do, I think I will save it for later.   

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
Read LSC now.  Get getting to maybe in October of your 1L year and read it over a weekend.  It will make more sense and be more relevant at that point.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN