Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 162/3.8 What are my chances, particularly at American, GMU, SMU, W&M?  (Read 1294 times)

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
I have researched all of these schools (already visited a few), and I would honestly be happy ending up at ANY of them, save possibly Baylor. I am a non-URM and numbers are 162 LSAT 3.8 GPA from a well-respected state school majoring in Political Science, Psychology, and Interational Studies with a Peace and Conflict Studies Minor. Good softs (Phi Beta Kappa, PR officer of chapter of National Psychology Honor Society, three years experience singing in university choirs, and a couple others), three recs (should all be strong).

Reach:
Virginia
Georgetown
Texas
GW
WashU-St. Louis
Washington and Lee

Target:
William and Mary
Colorado (tough to predict this cycle)
George Mason
American
SMU

Safety:
Baylor
Pepperdine

I'm thinking there are a few waitlists in my future

162/3.8

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 162/3.8 What are my chances, particularly at American, GMU, SMU, W&M?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:18:12 PM »
Since I have the same numbers, I thought I would let you know how I did on a few of those... So far, I have been rejected from Virginia and Texas, and I hear they don't take too many from out of state.  I was accepted at George Mason and Baylor.  And I'm still waiting to hear from Washington and Lee, William and Mary (top choice), and Colorado.  I don't have any really great soft factors, so you may have a better chance.  Good luck!

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 07:39:28 PM »
Since I have the same numbers, I thought I would let you know how I did on a few of those... So far, I have been rejected from Virginia and Texas, and I hear they don't take too many from out of state.  I was accepted at George Mason and Baylor.  And I'm still waiting to hear from Washington and Lee, William and Mary (top choice), and Colorado.  I don't have any really great soft factors, so you may have a better chance.  Good luck!

Thanks for posting, and congrats on your acceptances! Best of luck at CU, W&L, and W&M! William and Mary is my #1 also, but I would be really happy with just about any of these schools. Virginia and UT were super-reach for me (along with GULC), so I will just continue playing the waiting game. Thanks again!

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:07 PM »
I'm gonna say you are definitely in at Baylor. Probably at SMU too. I know people with much lower numbers that have gotten into both. Texas, unfortunately, is probably a long shot. The people I know that got in there with your numbers are all URM.

Those are the 3 schools I applied to. I don't really know about the rest.

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 06:39:57 PM »
I'm gonna say you are definitely in at Baylor. Probably at SMU too. I know people with much lower numbers that have gotten into both. Texas, unfortunately, is probably a long shot. The people I know that got in there with your numbers are all URM.

Those are the 3 schools I applied to. I don't really know about the rest.

Oh ya, Texas, UVA, and GULC are all LONG shots. I am a legacy at UT, but I doubt that matters at all. Thanks for the input! You're on my watchlist on LSN, so good luck with the scholarships at SMU!

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
I guess I'm a legacy at UT too. My dad went there. It didn't help my brother get in. He had a 162/3.67 in 2001. No luck. He went to SMU.

I hope your luck is better. I'd like to see you at UT in the fall.

sapereaude2012

• 162/3.8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
I guess I'm a legacy at UT too. My dad went there. It didn't help my brother get in. He had a 162/3.67 in 2001. No luck. He went to SMU.

I hope your luck is better. I'd like to see you at UT in the fall.

Ya I'm not holding my breath, but thanks! How long after your file went complete at UT did you hear back?

I would be happy to end up at SMU as well. Congrats on your scholarship package to SMU! That is awesome! What are your thoughts now on your decision?

penni_rose

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
Thanks. It depends on where my husband and I want to live. We really like it here in Austin, so I would like to go to UT. I'm sending the offers to UT for recondsideration. They have a scholarship matching program. Maybe they'll offer more...