Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LR question help on PT-also in general.  (Read 345 times)

nooyyllib

LR question help on PT-also in general.
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:47:22 PM »
PT 29:

Section 4: #23

I have no idea why the answer is E, I've read this stimulus over and over again just can't seem to grasp it.

I have asked this before but, I'm getting destroyed by these "50/50" questions.  When I look those over, majority of them I got incorrect because of my "impatience".  Do you think practice will help overcome this? This is SLIGHTLY frustrating.

Scentless Apprentice

• Sr. Citizen
  • My ego isnt LSD strong but I still want to play.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: LR question help on PT-also in general.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:23:57 PM »
Hey Billy, (guessing that is your name)

I just did this problem. I felt confident with E mostly because I had crossed out each answer up to it.

Light from quasars take 500 million years to reach earth. And, in order for a celestial body that bright to be seen from earth, it must burn at the rate of 90 billion suns. The stimulus says that something that burns this strongly can only exist for 100 million years.

So, E correctly states that the quasar must not exist anymore, because if the light has been seen on earth, then it took 500 million years to get there, but the quasar itself can't live for more than 100 million years. Even though this celestial body ceased to exist, the light it created still traveled to the earth.

I hope I'm not wrong.

Birds of a feather flock together.

LSN

mdbutler71

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:31:38 PM »
That's exactly how I read it.  It is the key word "exists".

nooyyllib

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
thanks, that helps alot :)