Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Money  (Read 1145 times)

kmlalhs

• View Profile
Money
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »
I have no money. That's right.

I never had and I probably won't if I pursue what I do now.

But I always had this dream to go to lawschool and help others more professionally.

More importantly, I'm a foreigner and I heard that there is practically no chance to 

get a loan for a foreigner.

Luckily, my GPA is 3.75 and I think I can get above 175 in my LSAT

since I get more than that on my prep test (within the time limit).

I really want to do this.

Is there any way that I can go to a good school?

Loan or scholarship... I don't care.

AJaKe

• Sr. Citizen
  • No, a law student!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »
I have no money. That's right.

I never had and I probably won't if I pursue what I do now.

But I always had this dream to go to lawschool and help others more professionally.

More importantly, I'm a foreigner and I heard that there is practically no chance to 

get a loan for a foreigner.

Luckily, my GPA is 3.75 and I think I can get above 175 in my LSAT

since I get more than that on my prep test (within the time limit).

I really want to do this.

Is there any way that I can go to a good school?

Loan or scholarship... I don't care.

This is a very odd post.

The answer is yes.  You can apply for LSDAS and LSAT waivers and that'll take some of the costs down.

Don't assume your score ... ever.  Prep Tests /= Actual LSAT.  Make application decision when you get your actual LSAT score back.

Once you start applying you will possibly get fee waivers to schools, especially if you do as well as your think you will.  You can also ask to have the application fee waived if they don't offer it on their own.

LSN
- 3.1 / 162

Accepted: UF, FSU, Rutgers-Camden(10k + T-Shirt!), Penn State, Temple, American, UPitt, Villanova
W/L: GMU, W&L, W&M
Ding: NONE!

zippyandzap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Clint Dempsey FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:30:22 PM »
1) Yeah, don't assume your score.  Leading upto my first LSAT I was consistently in the 170s for the last 2 months.  My last 3 practices were 173,175,174.  I got a 167 on the test.
2) IF you score in the 170s on the real test, you will probably get a full ride or two to some top 25 schools.
3)You can get loans assuming your credit isn't terrible.
4) If you're going into public interest, many schools have loan forgiveness programs.  These programs differ from school to school, so it's worth researching.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 04:58:19 PM »
Definitely don't let lack of financial resources be an obstacle to your goal of pursuing a law school education! I suggest you contact the financial aid offices of the law schools in which you are interested right away and see what concrete steps they suggest you take.  There are also lots of other scholarships available privately, start searching online and see what you can find.  Prior to the actual law school admissions process, you should also try and study for the LSAT on your own.  You can order the old tests online for a reasonable cost and if you do get above 175s on your practice exams, then you can probably forego the costs of a tutor or an LSAT test.  Best of luck!

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com/law