Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Berkeley v. Georgetown  (Read 4964 times)

lilmel32

• View Profile
    • Email
Berkeley v. Georgetown
« on: February 19, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »
Thoughts on the three? I've been accepted to both of them and am leaning Berkeley right now. I also got into Chicago but I'm thinking that probably isn't the best place for me.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Berkeley v. Georgetown
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 06:22:51 PM »
Plans after graduation?  Where do you want to work?

Without knowing anything besides your acceptances, if you're leaning towards Berkeley, that's where I'd go.  It's a great school and if you're interested in being on the West Coast, it's a no brainer.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:13:16 PM »
Berkeley, absent other info.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:06:35 PM »
Thoughts on the three? I've been accepted to both of them and am leaning Berkeley right now. I also got into Chicago but I'm thinking that probably isn't the best place for me.

Is the third Chi?
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:02:15 PM »

Wrong!

Choose Chicago.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:07:10 PM »

Wrong!

Choose Chicago.

I'm never wrong.  Not ever.*

*I may be wrong about this.

TheIllogicalReasoner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »
A few If, Then statements, which I think others would agree with...

If you want to work in...

Chicago, choose Chicago
West Coast, choose Berkeley
D.C, Choose Georgetown

Public Interest, Choose Georgetown
Corporate (or anything even remotely related to economics), Choose Chicago
Sunshine, choose Berkeley ( I don't mean to insult Berkeley here, I just don't know as much about it as the other two)

The list could continue in this basic fashion...

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:03:50 PM »
A few If, Then statements, which I think others would agree with...

If you want to work in...

Chicago, choose Chicago
West Coast, choose Berkeley
D.C, Choose Georgetown

Public Interest, Choose Georgetown
Corporate (or anything even remotely related to economics), Choose Chicago
Sunshine, choose Berkeley ( I don't mean to insult Berkeley here, I just don't know as much about it as the other two)

The list could continue in this basic fashion...

Good stats are hard to get, but I noted on the last NLJ breakdown of where people practice right out of school that Boalt's percentage of people going into public interest seemed to be the highest, however they measure it. My anecdotal experience is that Berkeley has a particularly strong public interest-oriented community. I know Georgetown is supposed to have amazing clinics, and being in D.C. can be very helpful for certain types of public interest jobs, so I'm sure there are great opportunities there as well. Just thought I would plug Boalt as also being a great place for public interest.

Three very different schools in terms of the experience, OP. I would visit if you can. If you're really feeling entirely ambivalent about which of these three to pick, I suspect you'll have a better idea after visiting.

I will say that if your gut says that Chicago doesn't sound like it's for you, that may be true. Visit if you can, but these are all good options, and my advice is not to go someplace where you suspect you'll be unhappy.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

nailemlaw

• http://www.nailemlaw.com
    • View Profile
    • Nail Em Law Exam & Course Support
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 06:21:27 PM »
Don't necessarily choose Georgetown just because you want may want to work in DC.  Berkeley travels well (as can Chicago) and many D.C. employers are interested in folks from out of town schools.

Strongly recommend BOALT unless you're compelled for some other reason to go with the other two.

lilmel32

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 01:30:49 AM »
The closer this gets the harder the decision seems to get. I honestly think I will want to be in Austin after graduation. I went to UT for undergrad and love the city. Although I did get into Texas for law school, I don't think want to go to the same school for undergrad and grad. I've more or less ruled out Georgetown at this point based mostly on the fact they haven't offered me any $$$.

Berkeley has given me a decent grant package but I'm still waiting to hear back about a matching scholarship or any scholarship for that matter. The problem now is their financial aid package including the grant doesn't even cover tuition and there's no way I can cover both the tuition gap and living expenses. This somehow circles me back to Chicago who did give me the financial aid I would need to attend. And to make it better both their ASWs are this weekend so I can't attend both (going to Berkeley).  And then Virginia just accepted and gave me a very nice amount of $$$.

*starting to wish I had applied to fewer schools. :(